push button input to execute a file (windows)

is it possible to execute a file stored on a PC using a push button connected to a digital pin?

I found this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=38627.0

which talks about some third party software called 'a proxy' but I can't seem to find that software.

I'm also thinking it might be possible with Max MSP or Pure Data which I don't mind doing if need be but it would be much more convenient if I could somehow set it up in the Arduino sketch without the need for running other things.

Thanks

If you use an Arduino Micro or a Teensy that can work as a HID keyboard then just just setup a shortcut key combination for your Windows program and get the Arduino/Teensy to send this shortcut key combo when a button on it is pressed.

which talks about some third party software called ‘a proxy’ but I can’t seem to find that software.

The proxy is an application that YOU write, to listen to the appropriate serial port, and do what you want when data arrives on that port.

Okay interesting. I'm actually using the Hiduino (HID) Bootloader on the 16u2 chip (on a Mega and an UNO R3) so Riva you're option seems logical. But thanks for both of your inputs. I'll have a look into it.

Do they do a keyboard HID for the Hiduino or is it only Midi?