Push button mechanism

Hello everyone,

I’d like to use mechanism for roller blinds to manage turn light on/off. (I’d like to manage two separate light sources). Each button for one source. One click to turn lights on and another puch same button turn lights off.
I’m wondering is it possible to work property this mechanism with arduino?

Here is scheme of mechanism I’d like to use:

I’m wondering is it possible to work property this mechanism with arduino?

What role will the Arduino play?

If you know what you are doing, and have a multimeter, I see no problem using the mechanism with an Arduino.

Arduino I'd like to use to have ability to control lights via android devices.

You attachment shows wiring options for roller blinds but your post is about controlling the lights (not the blinds) , hence the information you posted is not relevant to the lights. You need to post documentation that is pertinent to your post topic, which is controlling lights, not blinds. As far as the Android part, there are more than a few posts showing how to do that. Try researching your topic by Googling something like "arduino controlling devices with android phone" for that information.

I'm wondering is it possible to work property this mechanism with arduino?

The answer to your question is yes, but with the caveat that if you are going wire 220vac devices that you agree not to turn on the power until you have posted your wiring and had it approved. 220vac is lethal voltage and can kill or injure you. The two primary hazards are electrocution and burn injury due to molten metal vaporized due to shorting.. You must understand the type of relays you will need and how to wire them. As a starting point I will point out that normally the Neutral (white) wire is never switched. It is left untouched. Any wiring changes to accomodate switching are done to the HOT (Live) (black) wire. Please post wiring documentation for the lights in the blinds.

As a starting point I will point out that normally the Neutral (white) wire is never switched. It is left untouched. Any wiring changes to accomodate switching are done to the HOT (Live) (black) wire.

I will point out that the wire colors used in the United States are not necessarily the same as those used elsewhere.

Don

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

raschemmel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

You have posted a link which supports my statement and refutes yours.

Your statement: "As a starting point I will point out that normally the Neutral (white) wire is never switched." Most countries: The neutral wire is not white.

Your statement: "Any wiring changes to accomodate switching are done to the HOT (Live) (black) wire." Many countries: None of the live wires are black and the black wires are in fact neutral.

Before you start ranting about how you meant this and you meant that keep in mind that my correction was about the colors of the wires and not about the other material.

Don

raschemmel: You attachment shows wiring options for roller blinds but your post is about controlling the lights (not the blinds) , hence the information you posted is not relevant to the lights. You need to post documentation that is pertinent to your post topic, which is controlling lights, not blinds.

Danger Will Robinson - Danger.....

might you mean, why are you discussing a software solution on a post topic that is hardware ?

I'm wondering is it possible to work property this mechanism with arduino?

The answer to your question is yes, but with the caveat that if you are going wire 220vac devices that you agree not to turn on the power until you have posted your wiring and had it approved. 220vac is lethal voltage and can kill or injure you. The two primary hazards are electrocution and burn injury due to molten metal vaporized due to shorting.. You must understand the type of relays you will need and how to wire them. As a starting point I will point out that normally the Neutral (white) wire is never switched. It is left untouched. Any wiring changes to accomodate switching are done to the HOT (Live) (black) wire. Please post wiring documentation for the lights in the blinds. [/quote]

Well. I got you all on this one. 220 does not have a neutral. it is TWO hots we are so wrapped up on the one hot, one ground for 110VAC, that we sometimes overlook the fact that 220 does not have a neutral.

to be safe switching 220 you must open the circuit on BOTH legs. if you do not, you have 110 between the one you left hot and ground.

we often do not post on how to operate mains voltages.

first reason is that if you have to ask, you do not know enough about it. second is that a wrong move can be lethal. third is that often, there are existing devices that are fabricated for the exact purpose, and once you include all the safties, your hobby version will cost more than a purchased version. unless you pay yourself 2 cents an hour.

As was pointed on the previous post, even the guys who can get tons of stuff done at 5 volts, are not always experts on mains voltages.

I highly recommended you make your circuit in 24VAC with a transformer and put a regular house light bulb in series. the resistance of the lamp is not that great and often will not even glow. but, if (when?) you have a short, the lamp tells all. and the current limiting of the transformer saves the equipment.

Before you start ranting about how you meant this and you meant that keep in mind that my correction was about the colors of the wires and not about the other material.

The neutral wire is not white.

None of the live wires are black and the black wires are in fact neutral.

Promptly dismissed by the wire color reference table in the link. Not worth discussing.

Don Don Don, Oh please , stop before you make a fool of yourself. You're so blinded by your obsession to try to prove me wrong you have completely missed the obvious. I posted the link to help the OP correlate the electrical code nomenclature with wire colors. Low and behold, [u]Neutral is still Neutral anywhere in the world[/u]. There are only two wires Don. If you know which one is Neutral, I'll give you three guesses which color is the HOT (called phase in the table). Tic toc, shall I cut the red wire or the blue wire ?

Yes, it turns out that providing useful reference material for the OP is actually more important than proving you wrong. It is , after all, the purpose of this post is it not ?

@OP, If you have any problem understanding the importance of the above discussion please ask. And, needless to say , never work on any ac wiring without either disconnecting it from the mains or turning off the circuit breaker or both. It's not a bad idea to get a meter so you can check voltages or continuity if necessary.

dave-in-nj: . . . Well. I got you all on this one. 220 does not have a neutral. it is TWO hots we are so wrapped up on the one hot, one ground for 110VAC, that we sometimes overlook the fact that 220 does not have a neutral. . . .

Unless you happen to live in the UK.

Don

raschemmel:

The neutral wire is not white.

None of the live wires are black and the black wires are in fact neutral.

Promptly dismissed by the wire color reference table in the link. Not worth discussing. . . .

The complete quotes would be: "Most countries: The neutral wire is not white." "Many countries: None of the live wires are black and the black wires are in fact neutral."

These are absolutely supported by the wire color reference table in the link.

Don

Hello, [u]This:[/u]

Promptly dismissed by the wire color reference table in the link. Not worth discussing.

MEANS THIS:

These are absolutely supported by the wire color reference table in the link.

It you weren't so obsessed with trying to prove me wrong you would realize I am saying that your comments regarding the wire color are not a problem if you have the table to refer to. I meant the confusion "was dismissed", not the table. Why would I link a table that isn't relevant ? Think about it.

raschemmel: with the caveat that if you are going wire 220vac devices that you agree not to turn on the power until you have posted your wiring and had it approved.

¿Que? That is almost certainly the dumbest statement I've ever read on this forum. Did I miss the memo that the Arduino forum became a house-wiring-approval-agency?

@OP..... take any advice on this forum in good faith, but it is by no means a place to get mains wiring approval; I suspect you know that, but worth saying in the light of the quote above.

Que? That is almost certainly the dumbest statement I've ever read on this forum. Did I miss the memo that the Arduino forum became a house-wiring-approval-agency?

@OP..... take any advice on this forum in good faith, but it is by no means a place to get mains wiring approval; I suspect you know that, but worth saying in the light of the quote above.

@JimboZA, He's not wiring his house. He's using house ac for a project. He's not messing with the house wiring. Do you think he would be asking us if he knew anyone else to ask ? Think about it. If he had someone else to go to , would he be wasting his time posting on the forum and waiting for a response. Dumb or not , asking him to seek advice about his wiring before proceeding can't hurt. I'm not posting to seek your approval . I posting to caution the OP. It was his idea to do this and while you have advised him against it, we don't know if that is going to change his mind. If "Approval" sounds too official for you then call it what you like. How would you like me to word it ? I think "be careful " is not going to prevent any accidents. "Have your wiring checked before powering it up" might .

floresta:

dave-in-nj: . . . Well. I got you all on this one. 220 does not have a neutral. it is TWO hots we are so wrapped up on the one hot, one ground for 110VAC, that we sometimes overlook the fact that 220 does not have a neutral. . . .

Unless you happen to live in the UK.

Don

proved my own point ! we really know what we have to hand. I have been dealing with the US mains voltages for over 30 years.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_does_208V_differ_from_220V

The next post on this thread will be from @mandrzejak where she /he further clarifies what she/he is trying to accomplish.

Good evening everyone, I'm so sorry for a very long delay.

Now, I'm ready to push forward my project.

I want to have a light switch button like this BERKER - HAGER Q.1 503503 Mechanism. (I can't find english wersion of this file - here is in german (PDF))

And I was wondering is it possible to connect it with Arduino (one click turn light on, second click turn light off) using mechanism

All my wires are connected directly to main enclosure (prepared for 230V), so arduino have to be equipped with relays.

Also I'm open for any suggestion about choose the best arduino board for my project.

A couple of relais are handled by nearly any arduino variant, its more a matter of needed pins, size of the board, usb onboard, etc... Ready mady relaismodules come (via amazon) from china for less than one of your switches. First hit of my search showed a 4-relais module for 3.33€.