PUSH N900 - We want your hacks!

Hi Arduino lovers,

My name’s Matt Brawn and I’m working as the Online Community Manager for the newly launched PUSH N900 USA competition from Nokia and wondered if this may be of interest to any of you guys.

As you may already know, we ran a global PUSH N900 competition back in October that sought hackers/modders and designers to hack the N900 handset. It was a great success, with five great winning teams, all of whom received N900 devices to hack, funding for their development and a trip to London to showcase their finalized products. You can check out these five winning hacks that were showcased on 4th Feb in London here: http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/the-teams/

The reason I’m posting this up on the Arduino forum, is that a lot of the winning teams used Arduino as an integral part of their N900 hacks.

Nokia have just launched the PUSH N900 “Mod In The USA” competition, a chance for American hackers and modders to create something cool running from a N900. It could literally be anything, just as long as it’s innovative and pushes the N900!

There’s great scope for the developers to gain international recognition, support for their development and, if they win the competition, a $10,000 cash prize, plus $5k and $3k for 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.

We’ve got the USA specific website up and running and the hackers/developers have until mid February to submit their ideas.

Here’s the official website: http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/usa/

Discussion wiki: http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/usa/discussion

Here’s the official press release; http://pressbulletinboard.nokia.com/2010/01/22/nokia-competition-challenges-us-tweekers-and-modders-to-imagine-new-possibilities-for-nokia-n900/

Get in touch with me should you have any questions/need any more information, and of course feel free to pass the message on to people you think may be interested.

Thanks guys,

:slight_smile:

Haven’t you spammed this event here already?

@emyr

I posted it up in the main thread but it got moved, spoke with mellis via DM and he suggested that i post it up in here as it’s more of a general forum.

Not intending to be spammy at all, just want to let the people working closely with Arduino about the competition and what they could potentially win.

matt.

Hello,

as proud n900 owner and arduinolover im waiting for another worldwide or eurp contest :slight_smile:

Looking forward to see the US contest, open source rocks :sunglasses:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to drop by and let you all know that we’v announced some of the judges that will be judging the final three teams’ PUSH N900 submissions at CTIA 2010 in Las Vegas.

They are

Chris Ziegler: Mobile Editor @ Engadget
Bonnie Cha: Senior editor, Smartphones @ CNET
Sascha Segan: Mobile Editor @ PCMag.com

If you haven’t submitted an N900 hack yet, there’s still time, submission closing date is February 15th at 12 Noon ET.

Good luck to anyone who’s already posted a submission!

thanks,

matt.

//
PUSH N900 Team
@PUSHN900

hey guys,

Just wanted to remind you all that the closing date for MOD IN THE USA submissions is TODAY @ 12 NOON ET!

Good luck if you’ve submitted, we’ll be announcing the winners very soon!

Just to let you all know that we’ve now selected the three teams of finalists for the MOD IN THE USA competition.

Check them out below:

Niko the Robot – Niko the Robot pairs the Nokia N900 with Lego NXT building kit to create a robot that utilizes the Nokia N900 as its ‘brain.’ It will understand commands sent via Twitter to a specific handle, send feedback about the area around it as well as post pictures from the Nokia N900’s camera.

Pit Crew – This mod sets up the Nokia N900 to be the brains behind a slot car in order to compete against human competitors. Using Python code and algorithms, the Pit Crew thinks they can have a Nokia N900-controlled car beat a man-controlled car. Do you?

Bike Dashboard– This set up utilizes several different features of the Nokia N900. From the GPS to the camera, the team behind Bike Dashboard, BrettSarahTops, think they can turn the Nokia N900 into a car-like dashboard. Showing a speedometer, odometer, mapping your route with GPS and even providing a car horn – this app might have it all!

lets see how they do, is there somewhere a list of the “declined” projects?