Pushbuttons for selecting mode ?

Hi,
I have some project on my mind and need some clarification about it.
Can i use pushbuttons for selecting mode(autonomous or RC ) for my robot ?

I mean i will have a LCD hooked up and 2 pushbuttons one below the other.
So the program will run in the following way :
First the LCD will print "Please select the mode"
and if i press the first pushbutton it will select the autonomous mode and will run the program for autonomous and if i press the second pushbutton it will select the RC mode and will run the program for RC robot.
So suppose i select autonomous mode then the robot will be in the autonomous mode till i cut the power off or reset the microcontroller or will it ask me again and again to select the mode after the loop is over ?

If you need additional details then please ask me what you want to know for helping.
Thanks

So suppose i select autonomous mode then the robot will be in the autonomous mode till i cut the power off or reset the microcontroller or will it ask me again and again to select the mode after the loop is over ?

That is totaly under the control of the sketch you write to implement your desired program. Recall that the loop() function portion of a sketch continously repeats over and over, so you can have your program test for button presses and change desired operation every time the loop() function repeats.

It sounds like you might be new to programming so you might be better off learning proper program structure by reviewing the many example sketches till you understand how program flow can be made to work.

Lefty