Putting An Arduino Unit In A Small Plastic Object

Hey Everyone, new member.

Have some imbedded SW experience. new to Arduino.

Can their smallest unit, which btw, not sure what dimensions it is ?

Can it be placed in a small plastic object? The main features I'd want to have is for the arduino to sense when the object is moving. ie when the arduino unit ITSELF is moving. Is there a recommended motion best for that?

I'd want to do certain things once it stops moving as well.

Thanks!

Remember that you also need to supply power to your project and have wires connecting things. As for "moving", the simplest is a tilt sensor.
Paul

@royfan, your topic has been moved to a more suitable location on the forum. Installation and Troubleshooting is not for problems with (nor for advise on) your project :wink: See About the Installation & Troubleshooting category.

There is more than Arduino :wink: E.g. Beetle Board - Compatible with Arduino Leonardo - ATmega32U4 - DFRobot

And 'small' is how big ?

not sure why you quoted "moving" - ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: i think it was a very logical smart question.

just trying to know in general are there specific brands and types of sensor
does the sensor depend on what direction of movement for example?

are there certain sensors for certain specific types of speeds and directions?

steve where did you move it?

This is why I mentioned moving.
Paul

Can their smallest unit, which btw, not sure what dimensions it is ?

Yes, there is a large assortment of "small" µController boards, not all necessarily Arduino. To some extent size is predicated on what features you might need. Possibly bluetooth etc

Can it be placed in a small plastic object?

Yes. But in my mind the answer is so obvious that I feel I'm not getting the essence of your question.

The main features I'd want to have is for the arduino to sense when the object is moving. ie when the arduino unit ITSELF is moving. Is there a recommended motion best for that?
I'd want to do certain things once it stops moving as well.

An accelerometer will provide acceleration but not movement. So you will have to be more specific of your goal.

Maybe @royfan is worried about heat dissipation?

Where does this movement come from?
Is it a motor moving the object or is it someone picking it up or what?

A much better explanation is needed.

Nice, but unreasonably expensive!

You want small Duino?

18mm x 31mm, USB chip, 12 analog inputs.... $16.

Hi John, thanks for your answers and helping me refine my questions :slight_smile:

I'm going to get back to you with very specific dimensions.

Grumpy, yes it is induced by a human arm throwing it, and keeping it ideally horizontally straight.

And vertically straight for that matter. Traveling horizontally, towards a target. So the distance between thrown point and target is the distance that's getting shorter.

haven't gotten that far yet. Are there certain materials that are absolutely not meant to house an imbedded system ? maybe i can build something around to absorb the heat?

So you want a device in some throwable package that will keep itself in a certain orientation as it glides through the air. So basically you want a cat.

Consider a spinning mass. It will tend to keep its orientation when thrown. Not sure a sensor feedback loop is practical.

Then use a GPS system.

Asking because I'm new to the forum.

Does anyone on this forum do freelance work? Is there a section on the forums to post a project and it's requirements?