PWM a 25 amp DC motor

I want to control a 25 amp electric motor with a PWM signal. I bought a motor driver shield from Adafruit that has a L293D on it. I also have a bunch of IRLB8743PBF-ND MOSFET's laying around and would like to know if I can use the motor control to trigger the MOSFET that would take the load from the L293D.

Are you sure this driver can output 25 amp?

From the specs of the motor driver you mentioned it appears that it supports up to 2A per channel max. If I'm correct, this will fry your electronics if you try to draw 25 amps from your driver.

I was thinking that if I use the L293D to drive the gate of the MOSFET it would be fine. Am I incorrect thinking this?

It is possible depending on the design you have for this idea and also your MOSFETs. Do you have a circuit design you can share so I can get a better understanding?

tresguey: I want to control a 25 amp electric motor with a PWM signal. I bought a motor driver shield from Adafruit that has a L293D on it. I also have a bunch of IRLB8743PBF-ND MOSFET's laying around and would like to know if I can use the motor control to trigger the MOSFET that would take the load from the L293D.

Get a proper high current MOSFET H-bridge, rated for the maximum current that can flow, not the working current.

The maximum current that can flow is either the maximum output current of your supply/battery or the stall current of the motor (probably 150A or more), which ever is the limiting factor.

Perhaps you could tell us more about this motor so we cn check the datasheet?

[ building your own high power H-bridge is fraught with issues, if you want to learn, fine, go ahead, but if you want something that works I'd not risk it. With the sorts of currents available for this power level you should wear eye-protection working on MOSFETs because they explode if overloaded ]