PWM frequency of microstepping stepper drivers

I'm looking at driving 2-phase, 1.8 degree/step stepper using microstepping/sine-wave drive. I don't need to increase position resolution, but I need to minimize vibration to a bare minimum. I have never had a fancy microstepping driver so I was wondering--do the 1/8th and 1/16th-stepping microstep drivers really result in a smoother-running motor compared to full or half-stepping with an H-bridge?

I will probably implement my own microstepping in software. Does anyone know the PWM frequency used by microstepping drivers? I looked at the datasheet for this one

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1182/faqs

But it never says what the actual PWM frequency is. I'm guessing like 5kHz but it would be nice to know so that I can copy it.

Anything greater than half stepping can’t be implemented in software.

But it never says what the actual PWM frequency is.

So how can this be in the data sheet because the data sheet doesn’t know what motors and voltage you are using.

do the 1/8th and 1/16th-stepping microstep drivers really result in a smoother-running motor compared to full or half-stepping with an H-bridge?

Yes

Anything greater than half stepping can't be implemented in software.

This is nonsense. I have already written 2 different 16th-step implementations. I'm just curious what PWM frequency the monolithic microstepping driver ICs use.

So how can this be in the data sheet because the data sheet doesn't know what motors and voltage you are using.

The PWM frequency of a stepper driver chip is what it is. It doesn't matter what motor or "voltage" (what does that mean in this context anyway) you are using.

Yes

Thanks.

I've written microstepping in software for the L6208 bipolar driver chip - it takes reference voltages for the current sense amps which I program via LPF'd high-frequency PWM outputs - result a nominal resolution of less than 1 (electrical) degree! You could validly argue that the low pass filters aren't software however (!)

I found that TI's DRV8825 is 30kHz PWM frequency.