Pwm Motor psu

I have a pwm motor controller running a 5 A motor which currently runs off a lead acid battery. Either 6 or 12 v. I do not have the figure for stall current. I am trying to find a mains powered alternative.

Benchtop psus at these amperages simply refuse to start or start and stop.

Iv looked at beefy radio ham linear supplies but they are expensive , any ideas.?

Edit

Needs to be UL approved so i cant roll my own.

A good multimeter with a 10A or above current range might help you find the kind of current level used.

Or you can disconnect the motor and measure the winding resistance with a Kelvin style setup (I usually use a bench PSU to put 1A through the unknown and measure voltage with a multimeter).

Stall current at 12V is 12/R where R is the winding resistance.

Ugh its enormous.

Controller and brushed motor combo came out of rc ship.

Im told controller has soft start built in but off load it runs happily at an amp or so.

Hi,

Benchtop psus at these amperages simply refuse to start or start and stop.

What happens to them? What are they?

Tom...... :)

Bench supplies stitchmode.

Current limit trips repeatedly with the light flickering.

Other one does same but more slowly , motor runs but very slowly about 2 to 4 rpm.

You could always "roll your own" with a transformer, a bridge, and a capacitor. If you want 5A output, you will need about 1.5x that in a transformer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halogen-Track-Light-Low-Voltage-Power-Transformer-100VA-12V-p-n-AS-1212-/251652108479?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item3a97a270bf.

Connect it to a nice 25-35A bridge: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridge-Rectifier-1ph-35A-1000V-35-Amp-Metal-Case-1000-volt-35A-Diode-FL-USA-/281275599199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417d55095f.

Then to a nice brute capacitor, at least 10,000uF and 25V: http://www.ebay.com/itm/36D183G025BC2A-SPRAGUE-POWERLYTIC-18-000uf-25V-SCREW-TERMINAL-COMPUTER-GRADE-/121266914425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3c124479

If i try starting with a battery both psus seem to keep it running after battery is removed.

Hi, how long are the power leads and what size are they?

Will the supplies trip if the motor is not connected? Will the supplies trip if the motor is connected but input control is at stop? Will the supplies trip if the motor is connected but the input is disconnected, that is the motor controller is stand alone with motor?

What is the make and model of the motor PWM controller?

Thanks... Tom...... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, how long are the power leads and what size are they?

Will the supplies trip if the motor is not connected? Will the supplies trip if the motor is connected but input control is at stop? Will the supplies trip if the motor is connected but the input is disconnected, that is the motor controller is stand alone with motor?

What is the make and model of the motor PWM controller?

Thanks... Tom...... :)

2.5 mm t+e mains less than 1M. 1,Dont trip until controller is activated.

2 No. 3 no. Only trip when controller is activated to switch on motor via the rc pwm interface.

Model , dont know, old and out of box, im guessing about 20 yrs. May be faulty and in any case im replacing it with h brige shield provided i can solve the psu problem.

In doing your suggested checks however i appear to have allowed the magic smoke to escape 8). I think i shorted something .