PWM output to Victor 883

Howdy,

I'm currently working on a project that requires me to output a PWM pulse to the Victor 883 speed controller. When I had it hooked up to a BASIC Stamp, a neutral pulse was 750, a forward pulse was 850, and a backwards pulse was 650. When I tried that in Arduino, however, 750 moved the motor forwards pretty quickly, 850 went even faster, and 650 shut it off ( the fuse stopped it ). Is it possible that the arduino would require a different PWM pulse? I tried finding a datasheet, but there was nothing useful regarding pulses. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how they work. This is important, however, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

-Evan

Oh, also, is it possible that I need to recalibrate it? Like, send it a pulse of 850 and set that to max-forward and 650 to max-backward? I'm also unsure of how that works.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

It looks like that speed controller is designed to hook up to a servo output from a remote control receiver. If so, then it needs a servo output, not PWM. I know it says "Standard R/C Type PWM", but that's not real 'P'ulse 'W'idth 'M'odulation. It's really 'P'ulse 'P'osition 'M'odulation. Using a PWM output from the Arduino will likely damage the device. PWM varies the ratio of high vs. low in the output. PPM has a fixed on time that moves in time within the waveform.

You need to treat it like a servo. Look examples in the Servo library, or in the playground for other more advanced libraries.