PWM Resolution

Hi there,

We are trying to use an Arduino nano 3.0 for measuring purposes. We need two analog outputs. So far we used Arduino's implemented PWM (using analogWrite), everything works fine that way, except for the 8-bit resolution, which is too low. We need at least 10 bits. Since I have not much of an idea how to program a microcontroller in assembler language I would have to learn it, and fast. All I want to know is if it is possible at all, and a slight hint how. I've read timer 1 is a 16-bit-timer and it can control 2 PWM-signals. Can I use this timer for the output of two analog signals in the necessary resolulion? At least I am sure this timer is not needed anywhere else. If not, is there another way to achieve what I want?

Thanks

What sort of frequency PWM do you need?
(You don’t need to learn assembler)

Can I use this timer for the output of two analog signals in the necessary resolulion?

No.

is there another way to achieve what I want?

Not without adding an external D/A.

@AWOL The frequency doesn't matter really, the resolution does. We can easily adapt any frequency to our needs, even if the frequencies of each output are different. Problem is only to get a better resolution to get the steps out of the curve in the end.

@grumpy Really? That's too bad.

The frequency doesn't matter really

You could do it in software, but the frequency could be too low.

I'll try, thanks

Hey spacko,

What you want is something like this pwm(pin,value) /pwm(9,679)/... There is a library called TimerOne in the http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Timer1 Read it, it will help you :)