Python 3.3 on Yun

Hello.

My son is learning Python 3.3 at school and I read that the Yun is set up with 2.7.

We run Linux computers at home and its easy enough to install the libraries for 3.3. He only knows 3.3.

The question then is how can I get Python 3.3 as the default language the Yun uses?

I Have rtfm and I have scoured the net. No luck, hence why I'm here!

Thanks in advance.

Ants64

https://gitorious.org/openwrt-cybjit/python3/source/master:

Cross compile yourself.

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I am most grateful.

I will be honest, I don't really know what all that means, nor can I figure out what to do with it!

I was rather hoping for some step by step instructions but perhaps I need to wait a few months until Python 3.3 is more commonly used. Perhaps then, there might be some instructions that a beginner can follow.

I am however, thankful for your efforts. I will study all this tomorrow when I have time.

Thank you once again.

Ants64

Hi, I have the same problem as above. Could someone be so kind and let us “non linux” users know how to do it ?
I don’t understand why is it so hard, hope it’s not going to be like that every time python releases update (!)

A.

Hey.

Well a problem shared is a problem halved, right? :slight_smile:

This isn't the total solution but more a case of bringing you up to speed with where I'm at with this.

First, I run Linux Mint at home. This is derived from Linux Ubuntu which in turn is derived from Linux Debian. (One of the great things about linux is the way it evolves both within a distribution and by forking new distributions)

So.. in linux we have what is called 'The Package Manager' sometimes called 'Synaptic'. From there its really easy to find Python 3 x and install it on a pc or laptop. Most distributions come packaged with 2.7 anyway but upgrading to 3x is really as simple as ticking a box and then 'install'.

Synaptic is essentially a list of softwares available from various repositories that it regularly accesses and updates. Which brings us to the operating system on the Yun which you have no doubt deduced is called Linino - a Debian derivative. However it doesn't have Python 3.3 in its repositories. That doesn't mean we're dead in the water because most linux distributions have the facility to add a repo (Called a PPA).

So the way I see things now is that we need to figure out if we can add a compatible repo to lininio (Fedora, Suse etc use different repo's to Debian, Ubuntu etc - mostly)

This is my next task after figuring out how to access the terminal (Similar to the old DOS window you may remember) because if we can, we might be able to add the repo we need.

Its a long shot but I'm hopeful of a result. I have a busy week ahead but I'll see if I can suss it out. If I can, I will post step by step instructions on here.

I should add that if I do crack it and post a how to, I am not liable for your Yun!!!

Anyway, leave it with me for a few days and lets see what gives. In the meantime heres a page that shows how to install it 'longhand' on ubuntu. Its much simpler than this with synaptic but like most things its probably worth learning the nuts and bolts method because it may be the way we need to go about things. Remember, this page is not about installing on a tun, its about installing on a pc. We have to figure out how to do exactly this on the Yun. The page: http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install-python-3-x-in-ubuntu-debian-fedora-centos/

I hope you didn't mind the lengthy answer but I figured as a nebie to Linux, some background info and explanation might be helpful.

Regards,

Ants64

thank you Ants64, yes I know less than nothing about how linux operates. All this process you have described
comes down to compilation for yun if I understand correctly. I have tried different combinations of

./configure

but each time I get this error :

configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one.

On few forums I have found

./configure --build'i386-pc-linux

error:

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

which is probably wrong as our yun is based on AR933 ? so I have spend half a day looking for
C compatible compiler for AR933, surprisingly no success...

Am I understanding it right, you need a compiler to compile the source code for your machine ??

I hope it's not going to be the case of waiting for lininio to add it...

Thank you for your replay and I share your pain.

A.

Well… I know zip about programming.

However when I write the very basic programs I’m learning in Python 3.3, I write them in IDLE then execute them from there or in a terminal. I can see no reason why we can’t get IDLE working in lininio. First things first though, we need to get Python on the Yun.

Switching off for the night.

Anthony.

Ants64:
So.. in linux we have what is called 'The Package Manager' sometimes called 'Synaptic'. From there its really easy to find Python 3 x and install it on a pc or laptop. Most distributions come packaged with 2.7 anyway but upgrading to 3x is really as simple as ticking a box and then 'install'.

Well, in general, while Linino "is Linux" (based), you need to remember that this is an embedded environment, with limited space and limited write cycles for that on top of it. It simply isn't a development/learning environment as you are trying (ab?)use it. So it is not right/fair to compare it with any full fledged "everything and the kitchen sink" Linux distro like Mint, Ubuntu, etc. and the ways how installation of new/additional toys on those works.

For what you intend, the Yun simply is not the right platform, a Raspberry Pi is a much better environment for that.

That out of the way, Python 3.x is still a dead end in my experience. I hate to use it (Python)in the first place, but if forced to, sticking with Python 2.7 is for the time being a much better choice overall. Python 3.3 is out for a year and a half and still some popular libraries for it are not available for it due to compatibility issues between Python 2.x and Python 3.x.

For what it's worth, 3.3 isn't available for the rPi actually either, the latest version you can install on "Wheezy" is 3.2 AFAIK...

Ralf

Hey Ralf.

Thanks so much for explaining that.

I'm happy enough with 2.7 personally. Its just that my son is learning 3.3 at school so I was hoping for a fun way for him to exercise his learning.

He's now decided that if he cant use his school learning (to ready himself for exams) that he doesn't have the time for it.

I just inherited a Yun!

Will leave the thread open in case anyone has any ideas or indeed should Py 3 ever reach the ubiquitous nature of 2.7.

Thanks again.

Anthony.