Quadcopter Follow me

I've got 2 ideas to make a Quadcopter follow me while walking. GPS is not one of them.

Either ultrasonic transponder that measures the angle between Quad and human by triangulating from 2 senders.

Two senders the width of a quadcopter apart, pointing at a soft human are not going to produce accurate angle values.

Or a laser line reflecting from stop sign material on the human subject.

How would that work? The laser either gets reflected back to the receiver, or it doesn't. Unless you have hundreds of receivers, and a lot of luck, I can't see this working. Again, the width of the quadcopter is going to be a limiting factor.

The most recent bluetooth (3 or 4 I think) has built in directional and/or distance measurements involved. I'd look into that. I'm curious if you will be successful, since this is something similar to what I want to build, except land based.

sbright33: I've got 2 ideas to make a Quadcopter follow me while walking. GPS is not one of them. Either ultrasonic transponder that measures the angle between Quad and human by triangulating from 2 senders. Or a laser line reflecting from stop sign material on the human subject. Either one should give me the angle to the target. Any better ideas?

Quadcopter.. a flying brick with four high speed spinning razors. Be careful.

I will look into Bluetooth. I may explain my 2 ideas later, after I hear some more creative thoughts? The reflection from the laser is captured by a camera.

I don't see how Bluetooth can get me better than 30% of the actual distance in accuracy. Angle too? Links please?

sbright33: I've got 2 ideas to make a Quadcopter follow me while walking. GPS is not one of them.

I sbright i also think that gps is not good for follow me but now is the only one i know, but i think that the accurancy of gps will be never so high to let our quad follow us douring some sport activity like mountainbike or snowboarding.

I believe we should think to some other way to get the position of the followed by the quad.

From my point of view i have 2 ideas:

1st is to use the followed as trasmitter of the position, using some parameters that are not connectede with gps like ultrasound or others

2nd is to use the quad for pointing the followed

How about several going around you in a circle, shooting flames (chariots of fire?)

if the person transmits (ultrasonic) beeps - 1 rotating /sweeping micro can be used to determine direction of the strongest signal

or use 2 micros (A&B) and do triangle-math Speed of sound is "slow", 10 cm difference would result in 1/3400 sec time diff = 300usec If the distance between A & B is e.g 20 cm one can do the math to determine direction if both A & B receive the time at the same moment the person is in the direction perpendicular to the line AB

I think ultrasonics are going to be difficult on a noisy quad, and I doubt Bluetooth distance/direction is going to be any less difficult. BT is problematic in another way... range.

SO, you are only interested in the relative positions of the quad and the human, right? Provided you don't want the quad following too close, with its spinning razors, perhaps you [u]should[/u] think about GPS. The thing is, though, for this to work even somewhat reliably, you need two GPS units (preferably identical), in communication with each other. The one on the human will show your position, and that position will have errors. You can prove this to yourself by leaving a GPS in a fixed location and watching the results wander around.

The thing is, though, that many of these errors will show up on two identical GPS units, and if they are in communication with each other, the one on the quad can receive (by radio), the fix from the one on the human, and figure out, with fairly good accuracy, how far away, and in what direction, it is from the human.

If I were doing it, I might not want it to approach me too closely. Perhaps 20-30 ft. horixontally would be as close as I wanted it to get.

For a demonstration of this sort of thing, see the Blade 350QX. In "smart mode" it will not come closer than about 30 ft. to the operator.