Quadcopter

I’ve recently got an arduino uno board. Although I’ve never used an arduino board before, I’m fairly confident in my abilities; I have a raspberry pi and I’m a fairly competent programmer, so let’s assume that wouldn’t be an issue in considering the feasibility of the following project:

I’d like to build a quadcopter, controllable via a bluetooth adapter with my laptop.
I’d have the bluetooth board for sending commands (like roll, yaw etc.)
I’d have a motion sensor board for detecting what it’s doing:
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/9-degrees-of-freedom-mpu-9150-breakout.html?gclid=CJbG2uy4tb4CFc6WtAodeXcA6A#.
And, of course, I’d have an arduino board.

Having scratched the surface in terms of research, I’ve found people generally make their main concern the construction of the frame and the skill of flying. To me, this seems a bit of a cop out!

My plan is to use a LiPo battery pack to power the hardware. I’d use the sensor board as part of a negative feedback system, and I would control the motors using an exceedingly simple circuit (involving MOSFETs) in order to control motor speeds with the PWM pins. The original aim is to just get it hovering nicely, and then I can get it doing some more fancy stuff :slight_smile:

What are people’s thoughts? Has anyone tried this before? Is there anything I likely haven’t considered in my assuming I’m a competent programmer? :stuck_out_tongue:

You're crazy to even think about using Bluetooth. You're going to get someone killed.

What are people's thoughts? Has anyone tried this before? Is there anything I likely haven't considered in my assuming I'm a competent programmer? smiley-razz

I think you are vastly underestimating the difficulty of such a project. Designing,building and driving your own speed controllers is particularly ambitious even if possible on an arduino with all the other stuff you want accomplished.

You best bet is to check out some of the quad web sites and utilize proven designs.

AS long as you only fly it in your bedroom at home I don't see a problem but going outside and flying something with four spinning blades on Bluetooth with it's limited range is absolute lunacy in will result in someone getting their face all cut to shreds. Hopefully it will only be yours. FORGET BLUETOOTH !!

Look at www.hobbyking.com for frames, motors, props, speed controllers.
My wife is putting a small one together with my collegiate son, EE major like his parents :slight_smile:
and they have lots of useful info there, down to things like balancing the motors and balancing the props.

retrolefty:
I think you are vastly underestimating the difficulty of such a project. Designing,building and driving your own speed controllers is particularly ambitious even if possible on an arduino with all the other stuff you want accomplished.

You best bet is to check out some of the quad web sites and utilize proven designs.

Thanks for your response, but if need to buy it effectively done for me, I won't feel anything like the same sense of satisfaction and so I wouldn't bother. I'll continue to research it, even if I don't end up doing it! If I do anything I'll begin by getting my hands on a motion sensor and having a play. I'd imagine they have a wealth of uses :slight_smile:

There are several other posts about quadcopters on the forum. You can try doing a search on the forum.

raschemmel:
AS long as you only fly it in your bedroom at home I don't see a problem but going outside and flying something with four spinning blades on Bluetooth with it's limited range is absolute lunacy in will result in someone getting their face all cut to shreds. Hopefully it will only be yours. FORGET BLUETOOTH !!

Do you have a better option for wireless communication with my laptop?

Are you going to be flying it in a public park with other people around ?

Is flying it with your laptop worth risking harm to others in a public park ? The question is not whether there are other options because the obvious one is DON'T DO IT if there is a risk of injury to others. Is your satisfaction more important that the safety and well-being of others ?

You can check on the multiwii code for stabilization purposes, runs very well on a 328p:http://www.multiwii.com/

Why not find a local club ?

raschemmel:

Oh GOD no! I wouldn't trust myself even with an RC one :smiley: It will be in my room, my garden, or at worst a sheep field

Then go ahead. Be my guest...

JizzaDaMan:

raschemmel:

Oh GOD no! I wouldn't trust myself even with an RC one :smiley: It will be in my room, my garden, or at worst a sheep field

If you cannot master rc control how do you hope to develop an autonomous one ?

Do you have the required aerodynamic skills to do a full mathematical model ?
Its one thing to have something hovering but once moving in any direction lots of different forces kick in.
Without rc experience how do you rescue your model during development so you can try again.

If you think about it for a minute , I think the motive for the latter is the lack of skill in the former...
I would recommend just buying a simulator. The new ones have quadcopters. I have an old one PRE-QUADCOPTER AGE.
It only has helicopters but they are similar in many ways.

Boardburner2:

JizzaDaMan:

raschemmel:

Do you have the required aerodynamic skills to do a full mathematical model ?
Its one thing to have something hovering but once moving in any direction lots of different forces kick in.
Without rc experience how do you rescue your model during development so you can try again.

All good questions which I have considered (especially the one about recovering it in development) and hope to discover solutions in the forseable future! When I say autonomous, I mean "Is able to stabilise and remain stationary" :stuck_out_tongue:

That's a pre-requisite for a Quadcopter. If it doesn't hover in place hands off the controls then the trim is off and needs correcting.
The first time I flew mine I raised it 4 feet off the ground and took my hands off the controls to check the trim.

This is the one I have (it's obsolete now ! )

JizzaDaMan:
If :slight_smile: you think about it for a minute , I think the motive for the latter is the lack of skill in the former...
I would recommend just buying a simulator. The new ones have quadcopters. I have an old one PRE-QUADCOPTER AGE.
It only has helicopters but they are similar in many ways.

The skill being in developing the electronics rather than fliying skills ?

I totally get that and wish the op luck.

Local club is very traditional though and gets a bit sniffy about these "toys" though although BMA rules permit it.

One bloke said, (thick yorkshire accent ) i just spent all winter building my ( thing ) ill fly it into a tree if i like but ill be @@@@@@@@ if im goin t let a lectric beetle do it for me.

Similar in many ways,

Hmm not enough.
They are very different in the hover.

I built gryo stabilised 3 axis helis over 20 yrs ago , they were still difficult to fly.

retrolefty:

What are people's thoughts? Has anyone tried this before? Is there anything I likely haven't considered in my assuming I'm a competent programmer? smiley-razz

Iv just taken one apart and its got an atemega in it.