Quasi Answering Machine

Hi,

It's my first time posting here, so I salute you all!!!

I'm in the process of a new project and I'm not sure if it's feasible with one, two or more Arduino / and Shields.

But I'm sure it's not too complicated, well I need your advices...

Here's the main concept:

It looks almost as a call answering machine.

There's an old wall phone in a cabin. The phone is not connected to landline or any service provider.

When someone comes in and lift the handset:

• phone's speaker (amp) and mic (preamp) turns on.
  • the user ear a home message from a SD card, say SD(a).
  • when the home message is finished, a Beep is heard.
  • then the user can leave a message (about 1 min max or a t time), on another SD card, say SD(b).
  • At any moment, if user hangs the phone, phone's speaker and mic turns off, any played ressources stops (if needed) and record task closes (if needed).

There's other details, but there you have the main idea.

What do you think, is it too complicated, or too much tasks to do it with Arduino?

Thanks for your help.

An MP3 player is easy to control with an Arduino.

Recording to the SD card? That's going to be more difficult. I suspect a more powerful computer like a Rasberry might be better for this.

Well, I was thinking about using the SoundDuino shield SoundDuino 3 , Sterio Audio Shield for Arduino by MASIH VAHIDA — Kickstarter , for this.

But I also wonder if Raspberry Pi isn't the final answer!

Yes, that looks like it will do the job.

Connecting to old phones is somewhat tricky. The phones run on 48V DC and if you want to make it ring then there's even more volts required. It is probably best to rip out all of the electronics in the phone and put in your own speaker and microphone.

MorganS:
Yes, that looks like it will do the job.

Connecting to old phones is somewhat tricky. The phones run on 48V DC and if you want to make it ring then there's even more volts required. It is probably best to rip out all of the electronics in the phone and put in your own speaker and microphone.

Even more complications. The regular telephone mike is a carbon mike. Google that! Needs a DC voltage and a transformer to be workable at all.

Paul

Oh! Thank for those info guys!!!!

I'll probably rip out the original phone mic to put the one already on the shield.

The phone is just a props, with the Arduino functions, but I don't need its own "organs" :wink:

I'll send my schematics later today if you want. They're not traditional electronics schematics, but more like logical ones. Hope they will be comprehensive...

Thanks again!