Question about Arduino and Executables

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to the world of micro controllers.

My project is, in essence, a blinking program with user input.
I want to create an interface that allows a user to interact with how long an LED will stay on or off. (Via Dials and TextBoxes and Such)

Most importantly, I was hoping to make my project an executable. I'd like to make it so I can take the application off one computer, move both it and the micro controller to a different device, and run it on that.

My first question is:
Is this possible at all?
My second question would be:
Is this possible with Arduino and how?

I've had A LITTLE experience with micro controllers so I understand the actual coding of the program itself. (How to turn on the LED...things like that)(I'm fluent in C#, C++, and Java)

My research has shown me that Arduino is compatible with Visual Studio and if at all possible, I'd like to use that.

I have not bought an Arduino micro controller yet because I want to make sure it can do the tasks I want it to.
But from what I've seen this is a good product, and I'm hoping there is a way to make my project work

Any Help is much appreciated!
Thanks!

BrianA:
My research has shown me that Arduino is compatible with Visual Studio and if at all possible, I'd like to use that.

It's compatible with any environment / language / operating system that supports serial devices. You communicate with the Uno and most other Arduinos over a virtual serial port.

BrianA:
Most importantly, I was hoping to make my project an executable. I'd like to make it so I can take the application off one computer, move both it and the micro controller to a different device, and run it on that.

You want the PC application to be stored and executed from the Arduino?

In order to accomplish that, you'd need a device to emulate a USB mass storage device. None of the Arduino boards support that out of the box. Not impossible, but pretty high overhead especially for a first project.

Most importantly, I was hoping to make my project an executable.

You have no choice.

move both it and the micro controller to a different device, and run it on that.

Do you mean another Arduino or something like another board like a Beagle Bones?
Arduino, with the same chip - yes anything else no.

Your source can be compiled and downloaded to a large number of boards. The executable can only run on the target chip. You can not run Arduino code on another computer like a laptop unless you go in for a messy emulator.

Embedded systems are different from computers in many ways.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Essentially what I want to do is have the graphic user interface be the executable.

i.e. The form that I create with the input textboxes and dials I want to be able to send to other people who have the board. (Same way you might send a normal .exe)

Then they can run the program with their board and change when the light is on or off.

I'm not as optimistic that it's possible but I figured I'd check just to make sure.

Thanks!

I can't see how that would work with an Arduino. There is no standard graphics display on these devices and adding one is severely limited by the lack of read / write memory.
On a Uno for example you only have 2K of memory so any display buffer has to be off board outside the memory map of the processor.

BrianA:
Then they can run the program with their board and change when the light is on or off.

Yes, that is a very common use model.

Your PC program talks to the Serial Port. Your Arduino code watches the UART (aka Serial port) for commands on what to control.

What is NOT common (or easy to do) is the PC program "running off of the Arduino" or vice versa.