question about atmel uc3 MCUs [UNSOLVED]

I recently made a few prototype boards, and I've had some trouble programming them. First off- I'm using the following: MCU ICSP

and I have the wiring setup as follows: ⓵⓶ ⓷⓸ ⓹⓺ 1-:Vcc 2-:TCK(MCU pin1) 3-:TDI(MCU pin 2) 4-:TMS(MCU pin 4) 5-:GND 6-:TDO(MCU Pin 3)

When I go to hookup my ICE, and try to program, it gives my the error, unable to enter programming mode. I'm using the AVR slot. thoughts?

Pretty sure the IDE does not support that processor or JTAG programmer. Try it with Atmel Studio instead.

I am using atmel studio, version 6.2

I suspect that when you’re using AVR32 (UC3) chips, you’ll want to use the “SAM” connector rather than the AVR connector. SAM has JTAG, while the AVR connector has SPI/TPI/PDI…
(Annoyingly, I can’t find anything that says exactly this in the manual.)

westfw: I suspect that when you're using AVR32 (UC3) chips, you'll want to use the "SAM" connector rather than the AVR connector. SAM has JTAG, while the AVR connector has SPI/TPI/PDI... (Annoyingly, I can't find anything that says exactly this in the manual.)

hooked it up to the SAM. Fried the chip. will report back with new board. EDIT: it says at the top of the manual "High Performance, Low Power 32-bit AVR® Microcontroller"

EXTRA note: i didn't put a crystal on the board because I read that it is not needed. am I wrong to assume that?

What's the datasheet say? Cover page of Summary data sheet shows this:

– Internal 115KHz (RCSYS) and 8MHz/1MHz (RC8M) RC Oscillators Section 1 says:

The CPU runs from the on-chip RC oscillators, the PLLs, or the Multipurpose Oscillators.

and

The AT32UC3C is a complete System-On-Chip microcontroller based on the AVR32UC RISC processor running at frequencies up to 66 MHz.

Reading section 7 of the main datasheet, looks like it should be okay with the internal clock:

7.6.1.1 Selecting the main clock source

The common main clock can be connected to RCSYS or a selection of other clock sources. For

details about the other main clock sources, please refer to the MCCTRL register description. By

default, the main clock will be connected to RCSYS. The user can connect the main clock to

another source by writing to the Main Clock Select (MCCTRL.MCSEL) field. The user must first

assure that the source is enabled and ready in order to avoid a deadlock. Care should also be

taken so that the new synchronous clock frequencies do not exceed the maximum frequency for

each clock domain.

So, I need to get a clock going… fun.

I don't think so - maybe just change the clock source if needed after the chip starts up. Read the PLL section - more than likely, the PLL will take the 8 MHz and multiply it to a faster frequency that can be used. See 7.7.1 as well.

So you edited the topic to clarify that the problem was unsolved... but you didn't add mention of the kind of chip it is? If you're trying to edit topic to get better response, mention the type of chip - only a small subset of the population on this forum has much experience with SAM chips.

The very first post indicated the chip, with a link to a specific part number from Digikey. AT32UC3C0512CAU

CrossRoads: The very first post indicated the chip, with a link to a specific part number from Digikey. AT32UC3C0512CAU

Oh, I realize that - I was commenting on the fact that he'd edited the thread title to say [unsolved], in hopes of getting more people looking at it - but it would have been more helpful for him (in terms of getting the attention of someone who has more experience with this line of chips) to mention the part number in the title; his problem isn't getting people willing to help to read his thread, it's getting people who have experience working with these sort of chips to read the thread.

Atmel has literally tens of thousands of products. I’m not sure i coud ‘AT32UC3C0512CAU’ in the title and have it be much more relevant.

Right, they have tens of thousands of products. That's exactly why your thread topic should be a little more specific!

Just specifying that it's a UC3 series chip is fine.

The issue is that about 80-90% of the discussion here is about 8-bit AVR chips, and an even higher percentage of posts by people making their own boards are - so you're looking for experience that most of the people here don't have. So you should make sure that the people who do know UC3 chips realize that your thread is in their department.

Is there somewhere else i'd have more luck getting a response?

Try http://avrfreaks.net they have a specific forum for AVR32 and everything, and have previously discussed UC3 debugging problems. (although I did look for your problem, and didn't see anything recent enough to be using "Atmel ICE")

westfw: Try http://avrfreaks.net they have a specific forum for AVR32 and everything, and have previously discussed UC3 debugging problems. (although I did look for your problem, and didn't see anything recent enough to be using "Atmel ICE")

Westfw,

I am trying to learn how to write a custom Mega2560 boot loader, I have reviewed your Optiboot code, and have many questions. Do you have any recommendations for addition references for this challenge? Are you available for questions?

Chuck.