Question about ATTiny

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the arduino and Electronic domain.

I managed to program couple attiny85 in the past for small projects just fine. Now I'm back again and I'm having few issues.

I had few ATTiny85 around and I tried to flash them again but... as soon as trying to burn bootloader it would this error: avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

then all operations will lead to the same error.

I tried to upload a sketch without burning the bootloader and it did it just fine.

now, is there a way to get back the other ATTiny or are they dead? is there a way to reset them?

and why is this happening? I'm using the 1.0.5 Arduino.

Thanks for all the help.

Hal.

What ISP device are you using?

I'm using the Arduino uno as ISP, I used this tutorial : http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695

Which board do you have selected?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=214970.msg1573460#msg1573460 date=1391374674]

Which board do you have selected?

[/quote]

ATTiny85 ( external 20Mhz clock) as told in the tutorial.

I wonder, if the bootloader goes bad, can it damage the ATTiny?

halford: ATTiny85 ( external 20Mhz clock) as told in the tutorial.

Requires either a crystal or resonator connect to the target (the ATtiny85). Do you have a crystal or resonator connected to the target?

My mistake, it was supposed to be 8Mhz internal clock.... did I just destroyed my ATTiny series?

No. You just need to provide a reasonable clock signal on the XTAL1 pin and then change the fuses (burn bootloader) so the processor will use the internal oscillator. Ada Fruit has published a version of ArduinoISP that outputs a reasonable clock signal. I believe Nick Gammon has also published something that will help. Or, you can use this variation of ArduinoISP... http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/source/browse?repo=isp

The "Yikes! Invalid device signature." often comes from skipping this part of the instructions:

"We’ll also connect a 10 uF capacitor between reset and ground on the Arduino board as shown in the diagram (the stripe on the capacitor that’s marked with a negative sign (-) should go to ground). The capacitor prevents the Arduino board from resetting (which starts the bootloader), thus ensuring that the Arduino IDE talks to the ArduinoISP (not the bootloader) during the upload of sketches."

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=214970.msg1573626#msg1573626 date=1391382583]

No. You just need to provide a reasonable clock signal on the XTAL1 pin and then change the fuses (burn bootloader) so the processor will use the internal oscillator. Ada Fruit has published a version of ArduinoISP that outputs a reasonable clock signal. I believe Nick Gammon has also published something that will help. Or, you can use this variation of ArduinoISP... http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/source/browse?repo=isp

[/quote]

Thanks, I'm going to read and search in that direction

johnwasser: The "Yikes! Invalid device signature." often comes from skipping this part of the instructions:

"We’ll also connect a 10 uF capacitor between reset and ground on the Arduino board as shown in the diagram (the stripe on the capacitor that’s marked with a negative sign (-) should go to ground). The capacitor prevents the Arduino board from resetting (which starts the bootloader), thus ensuring that the Arduino IDE talks to the ArduinoISP (not the bootloader) during the upload of sketches."

Thanks, I have the capacitor in place. I made a ATTiny shield from the design of Kai Bader, great little shield for ATTiny family (84/85/2123)

thanks all for the help and sorry for my noobness, still learning

...sorry for my noobness...

Just being new at something is never a reason to apologize.