Question about motor shield (shields in general I guess)

I bought a osepp motor shield to try and power 4 DC motors but have no clue how to use a shield, I understand that I'm supposed to plug my dc motors into the M1-M4 spots but what does that translate to in terms of programming? Which pins on the arduino are they using? I'm completely confused on how shields work, please help!

Post a link to the supplier. Does it have a datasheet?- what chip does it use? If it’s a common one like a 298, even if there’s no datasheet for the shield, it could be easy enough to figure out since the 298 is well known and 298 shields are all kind of similar although ymmv.

You might be able to follow the traces on the shield’s pcb by eye to see which Arduino pin goes to which pin on the driver chip, but first prize is to try to find the maker’s documentation; they may even have sample code?

RobbySkateboard: osepp

They like to rip off people's work and sell it as their own.

Visit their forums for support on their "products."

If it's this one, well the page says to follow the link and use adafruit's library with which it purports to be compatible.

That shield uses 2x293 chips, and the schematic pdf shows how it's hooked up. The 293 is well known- here is a datasheet and there's probably loads of code around if you search "arduino 293" or similar.

If the products they are copying are open source, then they are not ripping anyone off. And it would be proper for them to sell them with their own name on them. If they were to make counterfeit products, putting someone else's name on them, that would be illegal. I have no reason to think they are doing that.

Warning, I'm going to be pedantic again. This forum is for helping people, and in that context, I think everyone really should be putting enough of the part number down to allow someone not skilled in the art to look parts up. If I google for "293" I get page after page of links unrelated to anything electronic. Simply using "L293" gets me page after page of information on the IC in question.

Same results with "298" versus "L298".

polymorph: If I google for "293" I get page after page of links unrelated to anything electronic. Simply using "L293" gets me page after page of information on the IC in question.

Same results with "298" versus "L298".

Which might be why I gave an actual link to an actual datasheet and suggested searching for "arduino 293" not just "293"; unlikely to get much different results for "arduino L293" and in fact, arguably better results where the author of a tutorial might only have referred to the chip as a 293 without the L.