question about newsoftserial

I’m writing a program to upload data to google spreadsheet or pachube, i found some examples on internet, but all of them are using newsoftserial to create another tx/rx instead of using pin 0 and 1, in my project, i didn’t use softserial, because it doesn’t give me any feedback when I try to use it, and now my project isn’t working. So I want to make sure if newsoftserial make big difference to my project? all my project do is send AT commands, then do whatever, I can send SMS, and i get OK from other commands, and can get IP address of my optus sim card. so I guess it doesnt affect much?

Your question isn't very clear. If you think it may be a problem with any of your code please post it here in its entirety.

er.What I’m asking is, With or Without using <NewSoftSerial.h>, doesn’t it make big difference? for example, I use NewSoftSerial, and make Pin 3,4 tx and rx, so, Pin3,4 and Pin 0,1, any difference between these them?

I’m a bit confusing myself, so sorry, maybe I ask another way, am I allowed to use Pin 0 and Pin 1 to send AT commands, send HTTP request, and receive responds?

code_v4.pde (8.21 KB)

Pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino use native serial support from the hardware library. They utilize the on board UART. Differences between software serial and the native serial do exist. For more information read http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

Software Serial is depreciated, use newsoftserial (NSS) instead.

You better not use pin 0 and 1 for NSS, as these are the hardware serial, and also used for uploading sketches. USB maps upon pin 0 and 1, so if there is a device attached you definitely will get some interference.

-- update -- scanned your code4.pde quickly :

You only include the NSS lib, you never use it!!. Serial allways points to the Hardware serial. Take some time to go through the examples of NSS library and see how to make an instance of a soft serialport.

I'm writing a program to upload data to google spreadsheet or pachube,

So, presumably, your computer is connected to the other end of the serial port.

all my project do is send AT commands, then do whatever, I can send SMS, and i get OK from other commands, and can get IP address of my optus sim card.

No, wait, it appears that your phone is connected to the serial port.

A concise description of WHAT is connected to the Arduino, where, would be essential to helping you solve your problem. Even better would be a schematic.