Question for a school project. Setting up multiple bluetooth modules.

For a school project I need 3 arduino nano boards with bluetooth modules to be able to communicate to a single central arduino nano board also equipped with a bluetooth module. Is this possible? Setting up two devices to communicate with one another seems simple, but would it be possible to have 4 talk to each other? or at least three of them to one? I am not required to use bluetooth either, I see these things called NRF24 boards which are similar.

Bluetooth is a one-to-one system. The newer BLE may be capable of one-to-many but AFAIK it is considerably more complicated.

The nRF24L01+ modules can be used in a master and multiple slave configuration easily. Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial. It includes an example for a master and 2 slaves that can easily be extended to a larger number of slaves.

Wireless problems can be very difficult to debug so get the wireless part working on its own before you start adding any other features.

The examples are as simple as I could make them and they have worked for other Forum members. If you get stuck it will be easier to help with code that I am familiar with. Start by getting the first example to work

A common problem with nRF24 modules is insufficient 3.3v current from the Arduino 3.3v pin - especially (it seems) with Nanos. At least for testing try powering the nRF24 with a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND.

...R

Robin2:
A common problem with nRF24 modules is insufficient 3.3v current from the Arduino 3.3v pin - especially (it seems) with Nanos.

While NRF24's are made for what you describe, the tide is changing all the time, and I have never heard of the above problem.
If you need to use Nanos, you might consider the newer Nano 33 BLE, which has BLE built-in, and thus surely has no 3.3v current problems. I also believe it is capable of talking one-to-several. I believe there is also a Nano with integrated WiFi. If you also want to communicate with the outside world, either of these would be preferable to NRF24.

Nick_Pyner:
you might consider the newer Nano 33 BLE, which has BLE built-in, and thus surely has no 3.3v current problems. I also believe it is capable of talking one-to-several.

I have searched from time to time but I have not been able to find a tutorial that explains how to do that.

If anyone has a link to one I would be very interested.

I think the ESP32 has BLE as well as WiFi.

...R

Robin2:
I think the ESP32 has BLE as well as WiFi.

That is true for the Haltec ESP board that I have. I don't know if it is true for all of them.

Nick_Pyner:
While NRF24's are made for what you describe, the tide is changing all the time, and I have never heard of the above problem.
If you need to use Nanos, you might consider the newer Nano 33 BLE, which has BLE built-in, and thus surely has no 3.3v current problems. I also believe it is capable of talking one-to-several. I believe there is also a Nano with integrated WiFi. If you also want to communicate with the outside world, either of these would be preferable to NRF24.

I've seen that BLE boards do not function as well as nano boards with BLE modules. Is there a difference between an NRF24 module and BLE modules?

I need the three nano boards to be able to communicate to one central nano board. From what I have read bluetooth is not the solution, so my question is what is the best means of communication for this project? I’ve seen nano boards with NRF modules integrated. Thankyou for the responses so far, they have all been helpful.

Pigfarm1403:
Is there a difference between an NRF24 module and BLE modules?

nRF24 modules are not BLE. They are just designed to communicate with other nRF24 modules.

...R

Pigfarm1403:
Is there a difference between an NRF24 module and BLE modules?

Apart from physical dimensions, price, and that they work on 2.4GHz, there is no similarity.
NRFs talk amongst themselves in a network. Blueteeth talk one to one and the outside world e.g. phone, PC, or tablet. No phone has NRF24 installed.

The only reason I know for NOT using NRFs is the comment about powering them off a Nano. That surely means a separate module running on Nano's SPI pins. IF you have seen a Nano with NRF integrated, I guess you can be sure it doesn't have a power problem and is thus a good choice.

WiFi is an equally valid option and have the added advantage of being able to talk amongst themselves AND to the outside world. Price, size, etc. is about the same as the other stuff. What you really want to do, and the point of it, is far from clear but, if you just want to say hello, maybe you could just use a cheapo ESP-01 or the like - no need for Nano.

"For a school project I need 3 arduino nano boards with bluetooth modules to be able to communicate to a single central arduino nano board also equipped with a bluetooth module. Is this possible? "

If you have not gotten the boards yet, you may want to dump the bluetooth and maybe go with boards with wifi chips like the ESP8266.