Question is it possible to make an arduino uno r3 a camera w/ PIR sensor SD card

I have a class where we have to make a design for atmega328p and makes it only activate a camera when the PIR sensor is tripped and save the footage from the camera to an SD card, but so far the only sources or guide we've found are taking screenshots and the screenshots takes 10-11 seconds to save to the SD card which is unreliable it terms of recording footage from the camera. Is there any where to alleviate this problem? thanks!

You say nothing about the resolution of these images and if you require colour or black & white.

An Arduino is not going be able to do much except trigger a camera or camcorder through a simple digital signal.

Consider an ESP32-CAM - they are cheap, effective, come with a micro-SDCard slot and can be programmed with the Arduino IDE.

An Atmega 328 has neither the memory nor the speed needed for video or even for good quality still images.

…R

You need to explain all the details of the assignment.
UNO is not designed for massive amounts of data. And not for video. It will take seconds to save the data. Not possible to handle data at frames per second.

UNO write to SD is slow.

Are you allowed to use a fast memory chip?

Are you allowed to use a
different microcontroller?

For home use get a cheap wifi PIR camera.

If this is just for learning then get the ESP32 and camera.

If the assignment requires you use an UNO then get the fast memory for fast storage. Then write to the SD card when you find the time.

Or get the ESP32 and trigger that with the UNO.
You can use the UNO to sense the PIR then activate the camera. Camera does te saving

Thank you for the advice and suggestions guys, ESP32 was one of the cameras we were looking at trying to use but we are still in the middle of trying to figure out how to implement it, thank you again!

jannodon:
Thank you for the advice and suggestions guys, ESP32 was one of the cameras we were looking at trying to use but we are still in the middle of trying to figure out how to implement it, thank you again!

Hi,
I have a sketch which I think/hope shows how to use the esp32cam modules
It also includes a procedure which converts the image to raw RGB data which may be what you are looking for?