QUESTION - Looking for a solder smoke filter or exhaust fan and need suggestions

Hey everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful Holiday break!

My son and I have been using our living room for much of our electronic shenanigans and as you may imagine when soldering and gluing and reflowing some things the smoke/fumes can be overwhelming, specifically when working on older or cheaper boards. P.U. Many of those fumes can become toxic so I would like to know what you all use and if you use anything at all!? Where I work we have a 2 speed fan in the wall ported to the outside(basically a bathroom exhaust with a filter screen) so it is never a problem, but here our house is pretty well sealed up during the winter and opening a window on a 20 degree day is just not easy. I would really love not to cut another hole in my house for an exhaust. I have seen some charcoal filter systems for reasonable on Amazon and similar but have never used them.

Send me your recommendations if you can, really interested in not stinking my house up.

See post #737

You Sir(LarryD) are a prince among men!

That is exactly what I was looking for, and I love all the great tips and tricks. I bookmarked that thread for reference.

Thanks!

I purchased some "Activated Carbon Filter Charcoal Air Filter Sheet" for mysoldering iron fan and to boost the collection on my room air filter. Being relatively cheap you can cut it to fit any fan you might want to use. And you can use multiple layers as long as you keep the airflow to a workable level to catch all /most of the fumes.

I'm not sure activated carbon will some of the rosin toxins but I know it works well for hydrocarbons.

JohnRob:
I purchased some “Activated Carbon Filter Charcoal Air Filter Sheet” for mysoldering iron fan and to boost the collection on my room air filter. Being relatively cheap you can cut it to fit any fan you might want to use. And you can use multiple layers as long as you keep the airflow to a workable level to catch all /most of the fumes.

I’m not sure activated carbon will some of the rosin toxins but I know it works well for hydrocarbons.

We have a “Molekule” whole house hepa/carbon/uv filter unit. I did not know if that would be adequate, but after reading, it turns out it will, so I will be moving it closer to my work area and putting it up on a stand when I do anything more than light duty soldering.

I used the heat gun yesterday and tried my hand at de-soldering some components which worked really well and fast, but it makes a terrible stink. So a filter is a must.

Thanks for the ideas though. I ordered a sheet of that filter to give it a “whirl” pun intended…fans. lol.

Just in case I need a little more.

Thanks.

jumper_d_1981:
I used the heat gun yesterday and tried my hand at de-soldering some components which worked really well and fast, but it makes a terrible stink.

That is a bit of a worry. What is burning? Flux?