Question on nano 33 ble sense and bluetooth scanning

Hello everyone,
i bought a nano 33 ble sense, and i’m wondering if is it possible from nano to detect other bluetooth devices. In few words, i compiled and load code from:

and i tried to scan BLE and NO BLE devices (like my smartphone, which has bluetooth activated). This code allowed me to detect other BLE devices, but unfortunally no Bluetooth peripheral was found.

How does arduino nano ble sense should detect/scan other bluetooth (no BLE) devices? Is it possible to do that?

Thank you in advance
Kind regards.

Blue tooth and BLE are different animals. One will not communicate nor listen to the other, as I see in the documentation.

Paul

Paul is right Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth LE only have the name in common. Smart phones and tablets use combo chips that support both protocols. Those chips are not useful for most applications because they need a lot more power. BLE was designed for much lower power to enable sensors that will run for month or even a year on a coin cell. Users are happy to recharge their smart phone every night but they would go crazy if they needed to charge all the sensors.

There are some people who have modified their Arduino Nano 33 IoT to support Bluetooth Classic. That board supports WiFi(very power hungry) and therefore is not using of those power optimized BLE only chips.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=654631.0

I have not tried this myself. This could turn your Arduino non functional.

Hey guys,
thank you for your quick answer. I understand that BLE and Classic Bluetooth are different things. My dubt consisted in a “simple” detection of Classic Bluetooth activity by BLE central, only detection. The dubt born from examples (like battery level) based on BLE central. When i run battery level example on arduino nano ble sense, i’m able to read BLE local name from my smartphone with bluetooth classic and to connect to BLE. Once connected, arduino nano ble started with battery level printing. I wrongly thougth that BLE on arduino nano was able to detect Classic Bluetooth as well.
Anyway… Thank you a lot
Kind regards.
Andrea

Most phone's or tablet's can only act as a BLE central device and thus phones and tablets can only scan for devices. As such you will never find the phone/tablet MAC address with a scan from your nano device regardless of whether the phone has a Bluetooth combo chip or otherwise.

If you want to create a custom app yourself for your phone to scan and connect with your nano, I suggest you look at MIT App Inventor/Thunkable or if more adventurous try https://flutter.dev/

Otherwise just upload one of those utility apps such as nRFconnect and that will scan and connect with the nano to reveal the services and characteristics available.

gerrikoio: Most phone's or tablet's can only act as a BLE central device and thus phones and tablets can only scan for devices.

Most phone might not send out advertisements without some app making them do so, but they can. There is nothing special about BLE advertisements from a radio point of view.

When you use nRF Connect you can send out advertisements when you click on the Advertiser Icon. You can then use the File -> Examples -> Arduino BLE -> Central -> Peripheral Explorer example with a few modifications and scan for your phone and all other BLE device nearby.

• comment the lines if ( peripheral.localName() == "LED" ) and while (1)
  • add BLE.scan(); after the explorerPeripheral

andrea_martini: I understand that BLE and Classic Bluetooth are different things. My dubt consisted in a "simple" detection of Classic Bluetooth activity by BLE central, only detection. The dubt born from examples (like battery level) based on BLE central. When i run battery level example on arduino nano ble sense, i'm able to read BLE local name from my smartphone with bluetooth classic and to connect to BLE. Once connected, arduino nano ble started with battery level printing. I wrongly thougth that BLE on arduino nano was able to detect Classic Bluetooth as well.

Sometimes BLE and Bluetooth Classic do make people confused, they share HCI/L2CAP layers and 2.4 GHz radio, but other things are quite different. An interesting thing is: ATT/GATT is based on L2CAP, which makes GATT over Bluetooth Classic becoming possible...

Most phone might not send out advertisements without some app making them do so, but they can. There is nothing special about BLE advertisements from a radio point of view. When you use nRF Connect you can send out advertisements when you click on the Advertiser Icon.

Sorry disagree. Many phones cannot do this. I found that only the new Android versions can (>v8)

But then as you correctly say you have to configure your phone first using nRFconnect, or equivalent, as the phone cannot be found (or does not advertise) by default.