Question on Stepper Motor

I have ordered these types of stepper motors recently and while in the picture in the link, they included pictures of these motors with this wiring connection to a "green board" with soldering and glue. These did not come with the motor order and I was wondering what is the green board? Is it just some kind of spacer or a small piece of a breadboard they used? I am new to motors and learning about them but I need to actually hook one up, so what is the green board and where could I get one?

Stepper motor I ordered

so what is the green board

Just a connector board so you can solder wires to it.

where could I get one

Probably you can't but it is no great loss.

I was hoping to be able to use these motors and use them from a breadboard. However, I tried to solder them before without a a board or spacer between the four pins and what I was soldering them to. When I tried, the gel that is on the 4 pins of the stepper motor melted and ripped the pins off. So is this spacer/board going to fix that?

I suspect the board is just a convenient attachment point. Are there 4 wires coming from your motor?

You should measure the resistance of the coils and work out the current using Ohm's law based on the quoted 5volts.

The Thread stepper motor basics may be useful. However I suspect that even an Easydriver stepper driver board may be overkill for such small motors. But you need to know the current to make a decision.

...R

Well here is another picture of stepper motors. It looks like this without a board connected to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6PCS-4-Wire-2-Phase-micro-stepper-motor-dia-6mm-with-rod-Mini-stepper-motor-/251743548379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9d15b3db

Things that small need very delicate soldering. I would solder very fine flexible wires to the pins and then probably tape the wires to the body so there would be no strain on the soldered joints.

...R

Yeah, I've ordered the pencil tip soldering iron for this. Is there a tiny spacer/board like the ones in the picture that I can place on top? I want it to turn out like the pictures shown with the green board or any spacer with solder and glue onto.

jhatf: Is there a tiny spacer/board like the ones in the picture that I can place on top?

Can you cut small pieces from a piece of Veroboard (perfboard / stripboard) ? This would only make sense if the hole spacing matches the pins on the motor. If they don't you will have to get a piece of plain copper clad board and drill your own holes - not a fun proposition.

...R

I can try to do that, at the moment I have thin pieces of breadboard. Could I use that and just cut a small square out for it? Is that kind of the same thing or no?

jhatf: I have thin pieces of breadboard.

I don't know what you mean by that. For me a breadboard is a thing about 10mm thick into which you can push wires to make connections.

Have you googled "veroboard" so you can see what I was talking about?

...R

Yeah, I looked at veroboard websites on them. I will look at local stores to see if any sell them before ordering online. The thin pieces of breadboard I was talking about is flex perma-proto breadboards.

Would something like this work for this or is that too thin?

My only concern with Adafruit flexible stuff is whether it would be strong enough when cut down to the size you need. I have no experience of the stuff. Veroboard is about 2mm thick.

...R

Alright, I got the motor all soldered up and hooked up. However, when I use the example Stepper - OneRevolution to see it go forwards and backwards, it only goes one direction. What could be the cause of this?

#include <Stepper.h>

const int stepsPerRevolution = 200;  // change this to fit the number of steps per revolution
                                     // for your motor

// initialize the stepper library on pins 8 through 11:
Stepper myStepper(stepsPerRevolution, 8,9,10,11);            

void setup() {
  // set the speed at 60 rpm:
  myStepper.setSpeed(60);
  // initialize the serial port:
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  // step one revolution  in one direction:
   Serial.println("clockwise");
  myStepper.step(stepsPerRevolution);
  delay(500);

// step one revolution in the other direction:
  Serial.println("counterclockwise");
  myStepper.step(-stepsPerRevolution);
  delay(500); 
}
/code]

jhatf: it only goes one direction. What could be the cause of this?

I don't think you have told us what sort of stepper driver you are using between the Arduino and the motor?

Draw a diagram of how you have everything connected and post a photo of it.

I wonder if you have the correct order of connections between the motor and the Arduino.

...R

Hi, See more about small stepper motors here: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/SmallSteppers

You may have the wire sequence wrong..

Thank you terryking228! I actually just got done using that motor and replaced it with these smaller ones. Now I did realize it was a wire sequence gone wrong and I have that all fixed! Now I know stepper motors get hot, however the 28BYJ-48 motor never got as hot as these ones. Is there a simple way to fix that? I can touch the motor for a few seconds before having to release due to the heat.

jhatf:
Is there a simple way to fix that?

A lower motor supply voltage - and quick before the smoke escapes.

…R

The strange thing is, I used the USB connection to the computer and use the 5V connector. Also, through the buyer I bought it from, they were listed as 5V motor stepper.. So it still should be less then 5V?

If you can hold your finger on it it's not really "too hot", I'd call it more "full performance" ;). It's normal for steppers to run pretty hot; the cheapest wire insulation heat rating would be around 90C which is much too hot to touch.

Yeah I tested it with how hot it is now, I had it run for a good thirty minutes and no smoke ;). However, I know stepper motors are supposed to run pretty hot, and I guess that is what it is.