Question ref RFID chips in animals

Hello

I need to neutralise permanently the chip implanted in my pony, the pony has been measured in the wrong height band and i need to put new chip to get him remeasured again in the right band this time

I am not a technical person, i am looking for someone who could do this little project for me or point me in the right direction

Thanks

gateauv

gateauv:
Hello

I need to neutralise permanently the chip implanted in my pony, the pony has been measured in the wrong height band and i need to put new chip to get him remeasured again in the right band this time

I am not a technical person, i am looking for someone who could do this little project for me or point me in the right direction
Thanks
gateauv

Can't it be surgically removed?
What does the vet suggest?
(Or are you up to no good with someone else's horse?)

RFID tags are built for survival.
The following article (for dogs) says to use surgery.

In theory, a sufficiently strong enough RF field at the right frequency will fry the electronics. Finding a frequency that doesn't cook the pony may be tricky.

Are you sure that height information is actually stored in the RFID tag? My guess is that it only contains an ID much like a car license plate. The height information is probably stored in a database somewhere.

mikb55:
My guess is that it only contains an ID much like a car license plate. The height information is probably stored in a database somewhere.

I think you're right. In the case of dogs, everything is elsewhere in a database. (My dog definitely isn't carrying his address around with him - it has to be looked up.)

gateauv:
Hello

Thanks

gateauv

Don’t ponies grow taller as they mature? I bet you don’t see people surgically removing the tags after every new set of measurements.

aarg:
Don't ponies grow taller as they mature? I bet you don't see people surgically removing the tags after every new set of measurements.

It might be a fully mature Shetland pony.
I'm still wondering if there isn't another motive for disabling the RFID chip.

gateauv:

Err, no, that is total nonsense!

gateauv:
I am not a technical person,

Clearly.

gateauv:
I am looking for someone who could do this little project for me or point me in the right direction

You know as well as I do, that the vet is the one you ask. But you do know that. :roll_eyes: I think you need to negotiate the right amount of money with the right vet. The nature of your request indicates that money is not in itself the real problem.

OldSteve:
I think you're right. In the case of dogs, everything is elsewhere in a database. (My dog definitely isn't carrying his address around with him - it has to be looked up.)

Even with surgery it's not always easy to do. Microchips can migrate over time - especially if they were put in while the animal was young. In the case of a pony it can be a very small needle in quite a large haystack!

In the UK the microchip just has an ID number. A vet can then log onto one of the national databases and look up the details.

It's only a shame that a lot of owners never think to update their details when they move or if their pet is re-homed.

Thanks for all your replies, what i know is that it is too tricky and dangerous to try remove the chip, some vets say it is v easy fry the chip creating magnetic area (not sure whta that is) using some sort of a cooker with a douzen of metres of electrical cables....this means nothing to me as i know nothing abotu electronics...

Clearly you know very little about electronics. You can't fry an RFID chip like that, over voltage just gets clipped. Generating such a high field at the required frequency which is 125KHz is very tricky and involves very high voltages.

Anyway as said the chip only stores the ID number, no data at all so there is no need to do anything with the chip if this is an honest endeavour.

Just pop him in the microwave for a few minutes, :smiley:

That's a good idea, my microwave will easily accommodate a pony. :wink:

Grumpy_Mike:
That's a good idea, my microwave will easily accommodate a pony. :wink:

If a pony would fit, I wouldn't have suggested it. He might actually try it.

Is It A Good Idea To Microwave My Little Pony?

LarryD:
Is It A Good Idea To Microwave My Little Pony?

Is It A Good Idea To Microwave My Little Pony? - YouTube

Ha ha. I wonder if it disabled the RFID implant?
And I wonder how many microwave ovens those guys have killed?

When I was at the University physics department, we had a demo for prospective students. A microwave oven with a brick in it ( most important the brick ) and an acrylic sheet with holes in it. In the holes were placed miniature neon lights with both leads spread out at right angles like tiny dipoles.

The the oven was turned on and the neons twinkled like Christmas tree lights.

Grumpy_Mike:
When I was at the University physics department, we had a demo for prospective students. A microwave oven with a brick in it ( most important the brick ) and an acrylic sheet with holes in it. In the holes were placed miniature neon lights with both leads spread out at right angles like tiny dipoles.

The the oven was turned on and the neons twinkled like Christmas tree lights.

Yeah, I remember seeing that done once, years ago.

Ah! The old NE-2!

You can do terrific things with them, sequence flashers and sort of logic circuits, but they require more volts than an Arduino.

Of course you can always stack twelve or thirteen PP3 batteries (quite dangerous, actually!).

Paul__B:
Ah! The old NE-2!
You can do terrific things with them, sequence flashers and sort of logic circuits, but they require more volts than an Arduino.
Of course you can always stack twelve or thirteen PP3 batteries (quite dangerous, actually!).

Wouldn't want to put your tongue on that lot to test them.