Question to the programmers here about objects

Ok so I was talking to my professor about coding for my project and I asked if Objects was a good approach to it (A object for each component to help me organize it). But he suggested structs for it(he mentioned the over head wasn’t worth it for a project as simple as mine), and I know structs are just a form of objects(for C) before C++. Now he has never done programming for an Arduino so I wanted to ask you guys which approach would be better. A struct approach or a object approach, for lets say a ping sensor and all of it’s functions I would use for it.

Ok so I was talking to my professor about coding for my project and I asked if Objects was a good approach to it (A object for each component to help me organize it). But he suggested structs for it(he mentioned the over head wasn’t worth it

Your professor is wrong. Using classes / objects has the exact same “overhead” as using structures. Until you add polymorphism (virtual methods). And, even then, the minor overhead is worth the benefit.

for a project as simple as mine), and I know structs are just a form of objects(for C) before C++.

They are still a form of class / object. In C++ the only difference between struct and class is the default access level (public for struct; private for class).

Now he has never done programming for an Arduino

[sarcastic comment removed]

so I wanted to ask you guys which approach would be better. A struct approach or a object approach, for lets say a ping sensor and all of it’s functions I would use for it.

Use classes / objects. Stay away from new / delete. Keep your constructor as simple as possible. Include a public method named “begin” that performs that actually initialization; call “begin” in the Sketch setup function. Use HardwareSerial / Serial as an example.

Well I figured my approach would be right (but I always go to OO since that's what I learned when I was in 6th grade). But thanks for the input, I can keep all my code (...well mostly gotta clean up my controller code).