Questions about Arduino? Extreme novice

1) Is this supposed to be for beginners? 2) What is the absolute first thing to get? I got the arduino starter kit and it is awful. The drawings look to be done by a third grader with no discernible artistic talent to speak of. Additionally, they are in need of an interpreter before they can actually be put into action. (see profile pic for verification) 3) If the blinking light test didn't go right, should I return this thing and scrap it. I've still got 28 days to decide. (I'm the type who frequently punches computer screens or headbutts cell phones, leaving both useless afterwards) 4) Why am I above average in so many areas of life but remedial at best, when it comes to using anything computer related? (My theory: the people who make them are doing it wrong but I haven't the slightest idea how to do any better?) Thank you. Goodnight. I'll be here the next 28 days keepin it clean for the kids... who scare me if they are under 18 and understand microchips. I just learned which line was the backslash. Is Arduino Italian for "shoot me"? Nevermind, I'll Google it.

1. Yes, I’ve seen 8 year olds do it.

2. This is about electronics and programming. If you want something where artistic talent is the main focus then you should go into painting or something. This is not the hobby for that.

3. If the test didn’t go right, then maybe posting the code you used and a picture of your wiring would help someone to help you figure out what went wrong. If you’re the type who likes to get violent with electronics when they don’t behave the way you want then yes, you should send it back. This probably isn’t the hobby for you if you can’t control your temper. Things in this hobby can get frustrating at times and require thought, not violence.

4. We are all good at some things and not at others. I really suck at baseball. But I don’t get all mad about it.

It sounds to me like you need to take a few deep breaths and slow down. Get the chip off your shoulder and relax little. Step back from it all and give it some time, come back to it when you’re over your little rage episode. Living a life with that sort of attitude can’t be fun.

1) Is this supposed to be for beginners? All levels

2) What is the absolute first thing to get? I got the arduino starter kit and it is awful. If you have a starter kit and the IDE installed you don't need much more. The drawings look to be done by a third grader with no discernible artistic talent to speak of. I am sure you were taught that you should always write to a grade 6 level. Additionally, they are in need of an interpreter before they can actually be put into action. (see profile pic for verification) Actually all drawings should be be schematics IMHO, you will learn in time.

3) If the blinking light test didn't go right, should I return this thing and scrap it. Tell us more. I've still got 28 days to decide. (I'm the type who frequently punches computer screens or headbutts cell phones, leaving both useless afterwards) You must have a lot of money.

4) Why am I above average in so many areas of life but remedial at best, when it comes to using anything computer related? Sounds like you are a genius in some areas only. (My theory: the people who make them are doing it wrong but I haven't the slightest idea how to do any better?) Then you have to submit.

The book says put Anode in 13. What about Cathode? The other lead is the Cathode, probably goes to one side of a 220 ohm resistor other side of the resistor goes to 0 volts. What slots are the arrows pointing to because that isn't where they go? You are a genius. NIGHTMARE!! Midnight summers dream.

Which "starter kit" did you get? There are many cheap imports from that big Asian country that are not exactly the best. The translation is horrible and pin markings on modules leave a lot to the imagination. Stick to brands that have good customer support. Adafruit, Sparkfun, Arduino to name a few. If you got it off ebay, you are probably on your own.

1. We are all good at some things and not at others. I really suck at baseball. But I don't get all mad about it.

Ironically, you were still trying to beat it with a ball bat.....

Hi…

Whatever Starter Kit you got, you may find these pages a good place to start…

I’m an East Coastal Elite English speaker and I wrote it :confused:

I thank you all for your help and humor but my questions are futile without a picture. I used a photo that I needed help with as my profile pic so you guys could see it but it's not there and there are no icons to add a photo like mentioned in the "how to use this forum" part. I paid $149.99 for the kit and it says it's authentic arduino but some stuff doesn't match up like this blinking light test blinking before I enter a sketch? What does the test prove if it blinks already? I can't post the sketch but I used the example that was preloaded. I'm literally following the Make: Getting Started with Arduino 3rd Edition step by step. I just started here so I think I have limited use of some functions. I was able to put a pic on another post I did but I didn't verify if it was there yet.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=481132.msg3287383#msg3287383

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=480725.msg3287370#msg3287370