Questions about Arduino Pro Mini and compatibility.

Hey guys I am new to the arduino scene. I am planning to build a Arduino Quadcopter with the Pro Mini. The objective is to learn programming and have fun in the process. I was going to order the parts I will need for the project, but I thought that it would be a good idea to take some advice from the arduino veterans here before I place the order.

I need some help figuring out whether there are enough I/O pins on the Pro Mini to communicate with the parts. And whether the parts will be compatible with each other and the Pro Mini.

Parts list:

• CP2102 USB to UART - for programming the arduino - Link

• GY-521 MPU-6050 Gyro/Accelerometer Module - It has 6 output pins (8 in total with the VCC and GND) of which I am not sure how many I will be using for flight stability - Link

• HC-05 JY-MCU Bluetooth Module - For controlling the Arduino from my Android phone - Link

• 4x Coreless DC motors - They will use 4 PWM pins

• 4x Transistors (PN2222) - As a switch to control the current of the motor - Link

• Resistors, diodes, jumper cables, breadboard, permanent prototyping board, propellers, quadcopter frame, etc.

• Lithium Polymer Battery

All parts will be powered from the Lithium Polymer Battery. I will use jumper cables and a permanent prototyping board to put all of it together after testing on a breadboard.

Can someone please tell me whether I will be able to interface all these modules and components with the Pro Mini without running out of I/O pins, incase they require any special I/O pins like the PWM ones. Also, will the Gyroscope and Bluetooth modules require any additional breakout boards?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

If this is your first project I would start by doing some of the simpler ones to learn a bit before tackling a quadcopter.

The GY-521 module has 6 connections however, it communicates on 2, the I2C bus. You can use a third for setting the address and a forth for interrupts if you need them. In practice you are likely to just use the I2C.

The bluetooth module uses serial so whilst you will want to disconnect it for programming the Pro mini apart from that you don't appear to be using serial for anything else.

There are enough other pins to drive the motors.

ChilliTronix:
If this is your first project I would start by doing some of the simpler ones to learn a bit before tackling a quadcopter.

Yeah, that is how I plan to start. I will start out with simple ones and then try to include the quadcopter build parts in simple projects one by one. That way I will have a good understanding of how each part has to be programmed, which will later help me to use all of them together in the quadcopter build.

The GY-521 module has 6 connections however, it communicates on 2, the I2C bus. You can use a third for setting the address and a forth for interrupts if you need them. In practice you are likely to just use the I2C.

That sounds good. I will look at some projects that make use of it.

The bluetooth module uses serial so whilst you will want to disconnect it for programming the Pro mini apart from that you don't appear to be using serial for anything else.

Cool! I will make sure I disconnect it before programming.

There are enough other pins to drive the motors.

Yeah, 2 more PWM pins.

Thanks a lot for the help! :slight_smile: