questions about bootloader

Hi guys,

I am trying to set the high_fuses settings in my UNO,

I changed the high_fuses value in Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\boards.txt file.

and I am trying to burn the bootloader

that when I met this error message:

F:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CF:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -PCOM3 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "F:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3 Using Programmer : stk500v1 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude done. Thank you.

googled the error message and didn't get a solution, so please offer me some help guys. Thanks.

You can not burn a boot loader using the Arduino IDE. You need a programmer. An Arduino can be programmed to act like a programmer once it's auto reset circuit has been disabled.

See:- https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone

thank Mike, got to ask another silly question since I am completely new to Arduino.

is this programmer a software or a hardware?

and it seems with this AVRISP mkII , it is burned with IDE too?

oh, and one more thing, do I need a new ATmega328 chip?

thanks

is this programmer a software or a hardware?

It is hardware.

As I said you can program an Arduino to act like a hardware programmer.

thanks mike,

can i configure the existing 328P on UNO, or I need to buy a new one for configuration?

You have an AVRISP mkII ? It is the programmer. Under Tools:Programmer, select it. Make sure you have the driver installed (NOT the Jungo driver, that is for use with Atmel Studio), but this one: avrisp2.inf Then burn th bootloader again, the fuse settings in boards.txt will be used.

can i configure the existing 328P on UNO,

Yes. The code is built into the IDE. It is in Files -> Examples -> 11.ArduinoISP. Program up your Arduino with this code. Then follow the instructions to disable the auto reset circuit.

After that attach the Arduino to your system, choose the right "board" and programmer from the Tools -> programmer. Finally program it using the Tools -> burn bootloader.

CrossRoads: You have an AVRISP mkII ? It is the programmer. Under Tools:Programmer, select it. Make sure you have the driver installed (NOT the Jungo driver, that is for use with Atmel Studio), but this one: avrisp2.inf Then burn th bootloader again, the fuse settings in boards.txt will be used.

thanks a lot, buying it.

Grumpy_Mike: Yes. The code is built into the IDE. It is in Files -> Examples -> 11.ArduinoISP. Program up your Arduino with this code. Then follow the instructions to disable the auto reset circuit.

After that attach the Arduino to your system, choose the right "board" and programmer from the Tools -> programmer. Finally program it using the Tools -> burn bootloader.

thanks a lot,

I programed my Arduino UNO with the code, the blinking yellow light is stable now.

But I didn't see any instructions.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

is this the correct instruction?

is this the correct instruction?

Yes.

Myself I have a miniature slid switch soldered across a cutable link in the reset circuit but those other ways work as well.