Questions about the arduino ethernet shield

HI Arduino fans. I am new to the world of arduino. I am currently a student in an EET program at my local community college. I have taken an interest in using the arduino cause it is tons of fun and it can be used for countless practical applications. Anyway I am using it to do a senior project. My project is to build a home security system.

I chose this project because my house has been burglarized a few times now and I don't have the funds to pay ADT for monthly monitoring. I am using an arduino uno to run this system. I have two door contacts, three infrared motion sensors, a keypad for a security code, and four security cameras with a DVR. I am running everything off of backup battery power so that my system will work even if there is a power outage. I have actually completed the project that I have proposed but I want to add on to it. Right now I can arm and disarm my system with the keypad and keycode. My buzzer alarm will sound and my cameras will turn on if any of my sensors are tripped.

Now I want to use an arduino ethernet shield to control my system via the internet from anywhere. I would like to be able to arm and disarm my system from my phone, also receive a Sms text whenever my alarm is going off. But I am not proficient at all when it comes to making this happen. I have done some research on the ethernet shield but have become really confused on how it works.

Here are my questions:

1) Pins 10 - 13 are used to interface with the arduino. They have acronyms like SCK, MISO, MOSI, and SS. What are these and what do they do? 2) On my uno I am using almost every I/O pins to run my system. I read that I cannot use these specific pins but there are slots on the ethernet shield to put I/Os just as there are on my uno. Can someone clarify this for me? 3) I have downloaded three different apps for my android based phone: Arduino Controller, Arduino Commander, and DomoticHome. Which would be the best for my system? 4) On these apps they ask for an IP address. I figured that if I put in the LAN IP address i would only be able to control my system if I am on the same LAN. I want to be able to control it from anywhere so would using my globalid or my external IP address work?

I will probably have a lot more questions later. I just can't think of anymore right now. I would like to say that I have no technical expertise in the field of computer/ Internet/ IP addresses / Port numbers /ect. So please if you can try to break it down Barney style the best you can for me.... Thanks

They have acronyms like SCK, MISO, MOSI, and SS. What are these and what do they do?

They refer to the SPI standard. More information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus

On these apps they ask for an IP address. I figured that if I put in the LAN IP address i would only be able to control my system if I am on the same LAN. I want to be able to control it from anywhere so would using my globalid or my external IP address work?

You'll need to set up your router to port forward. Do a google search for "arduino port forwarding" and you should be able to find what you need.

You'll need to set up your router to port forward

This gets a little complicated and different for different routers. There are approaches that do not need any router changes because they use only HTML Put and Get or send UDP packets. Examples are COSM and KSDuino.

Info and example code here: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ksduino-tests1

And my live home temperature/humidity data is here: https://ksduino.org/?devices&device_id=3330

Basically you can't do any image processing with the Arduinos. So you would need to look at using IP cams (WiFi or E-Net).

Lots of threads on the use of cam's with Arduino's most recent http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,152867.0.html

For more pins look at

1. using the 6 analog pins as digital ones (A0 is D14 etc)

2. Using shift registers (look in the playground)

3. I/O expanders again in the playground.

4. Use of devices/chips on the SPI and I2C pins.

Mark

Could work out cheaper to get a large dog!.

M

Mark

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it. I'm reading the websites yall put up right now. As far as all the pins go, I am already using all my digital pins and analog pins. .. 0 -12 and 14 - 19 analog pins. Is this going to be a problem? Should I just upgrade to the Mega? I am going to search on the website and topics you posted holmes4 so if my the answer is in there don't worry about answering. I will get around to it when I have more time. Thanks again