Questions: Going from a prototype to a product

Hello,

i have built a protype prototype that works on my breadboard and includes: arduino pro mini, bluetooth shield, batterys, H-Bridge, a motor and other details. It works a little bit unstable because of the wire connection arent hard wired.

I want to exchange some parts with cheaper ones and then built a product from a breadboard prototype. I have some questions:

• The pins of the cheaper boards are very tiny. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with soldering. But I looks like this is not possible with the some boards, eg this one Can this only be done by machines? Do you recommend another board? Currently the prototyp with its wires is not stable...

• What are the next steps? The product needs a suitable case, which arranges all places for the battery, the wires and other componentes perfectly and correctly - so that the case is good looking and professional. I can create 3D models but I am not familiar with buildung hardware cases.

• Would you recommend to hand this work to a (production) company? What is the usual way when you have finished your prototype on breadboard?

• What should I do for security und legal issues (Germany)? I dont want somebody to get a fire or that I get justiced for some reason.

Thank you a lot, best regards

filyra

If you've never soldered before, I would recommend getting started. I couldn't imagine being in this industry without soldering skills. SparkFun has a good tutorial on Eagle to get you started. Failing that, you should transfer your breadboard design to a schematic and have a PCB assembly company manufacture and assemble the boards. I'm not familiar with any in Germany, but I'm sure you could find some with a bit of Googling.

If you are not good with soldering or printed circuit board design, you can either get your product out there first, with the parts you described, or pay someone else design a circuit board for you. On legal issues, you will need someone with the right background from Germany to talk to. Is this device potentially causing fire hazard under normal operation or not?

i have built a protype prototype that works on my breadboard and includes: arduino pro mini, bluetooth shield, batterys, H-Bridge, a motor and other details. It works a little bit unstable because of the wire connection arent hard wired. I want to exchange some parts with cheaper ones and then built a product from a breadboard prototype.

Are we talking about 3 customers or 30,000? If the higher figure, you need to find an experienced product engineer to redesign your very preliminary prototype. The price point also has a very large effect on the design.

Hello,

indeed it aims for a high number of customers .As you said I will have to work with somebody when the prototype is completed anyway (legals, security)...

I can do some soldering but what are the next steps to solve that problems. 1) The pins of the boards are so small, that manual soldering will not do it. Look at this bluetooth board for example. Should I try other boards?

2) How to built / model built a case that arranges all the wires correclty, that is wellformed, everthing fits in small room, etc Any experiences here?

Current goal is the prototype the works solid - in a case. Thanks.

How much money have you got... ? If you're wanting to pay people to do all that it will cost you thousands of euros. What is this thing you are building? Do I want this product?

Are we talking about 3 customers or 30,000?

China is listening.

No no, start with this one if all you want is a Bluetooth serial module:

http://www.amazon.de/Big-Bargain-Bluetooth-Transceiver-Backplane/dp/B00AAZR27Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1374537728&sr=1-3&keywords=Bluetooth+RS232+%2F+TTL

Case building is the worst of my work. I can design boards in a few days but won't be able to do cases. I found the following ways viable:

Find a proper case and design the board or in your case the collection of parts around the case. Last time it took me on and off 6 months to find a proper case for one project and I then designed my board around it. Only missed one dimension, not the case but how I placed parts on the board. Not critical.

Design a board or in your case have the collection of parts and do laser cut acrylic face plates. It won't look too good or professional but it gets you one step away from bare wires and boards.

Find a copy of non-disclosure agreement that works in your country and make sure anyone that will work with you signs it. It protects your design.

Hey liudr,

that was great help :) I will order that one. I think I will hand over the case construction to a company. This will cost a few thousand of Euros :~ But then will fullfill legal and security requirements.

Or do you have any good tutorials or sources to read about case construction? I am able to do 3D modeling but I dont know what I have to do in this case: What do I have to built around the board? Hoch much room there must be between parts? How to construct it so that nothing wiggles? What should I keep in mind for security issues? etc... The problem is, its not fine just to try fitting the parts into a case. The case has to be pretty, exactly and keeping space...

Thanks, best regards

Look for 3d printing service since you can design 3d shapes. It wont be cheap to print one but you can show this to potential investors and case manufacturers. To secure parts, you need bushing for the screw holes on each board. Don't get a board without mounting holes unless you have no other choices. Other parts without mounting holes can be taped to case with double sticky tape. Use a few plastic cable organizers with adhesive backing to organize wires.