Questions on ArduinoToBreadboard

Hi, recently I want to make a minimal Arduino system by following the tutorial on ArduinoToBreadboard. Before started, I purchased an Atmega328P U and other components from online retailer. But now I am stuck by the following message:

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response=0x12
Error while burning bootloader.

Though I admit that large amount of discussion are available on the web, but some questions still confused me a lot. (And still, following questions includes my ideas on where could possibly go wrong.)

First, which one should I select under Tools > Board section? The one, "Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328", selected in the tutorial cannot be found in my Arduino IDE which is 1.8.7. I tried with a similar one called "Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila". Will that work in theory?
Second, what is the proper value of the pull-up resistor? I'd like to ask this because I found some buddy said they use 30k-60kOhm in similar topic questions (sorry I cannot find the source now). In myself I have tried with 33kOhm and 10kOhm. So does this really affect a lot?
Finally, is there any simple approach that I can check a IC chip still function well? I believe that some chip is broken when you receive it or some may destroyed by static electricity accidentally.

Thanks for any suggestion.

p.s. I have checked several times that the wire connection is correct and everything except the value of pull-up resistor is as same as the figure in tutorial. The capacitor used was 22pF ceramic capacitor.

Put a 10uF capacitor between Reset and Gnd on the Arduino used as ISP.

I select Uno when I try this and usually use 10kohm resistor.

Page_David:
First, which one should I select under Tools > Board section? The one, “Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328”, selected in the tutorial cannot be found in my Arduino IDE which is 1.8.7. I tried with a similar one called “Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila”. Will that work in theory?

@kprims gave good advice about selecting Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno. In case you’re still wondering why you can’t find those boards:

Arduino Duemilanove was probably changed to Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila at some point after the tutorial was written. I don’t know exactly why.

In the case of the Nano board, the reason is more interesting. In Arduino IDE 1.5.x and newer, a really cool feature was added to the Arduino IDE where boards can create their own custom Tools menus, which only appear when that board is selected from the Tools > Board menu. It used to be the Tools > Board menu was cluttered up with multiple Nano variants:

• Arduino Nano w/ ATmega328
  • Arduino Nano w/ ATmega168

and the same for the Mini, Pro Mini, Lilypad, Arduino NG or older. Now, there is a single Tools > Board > Arduino Nano and then you can select the variant from the Tools > Processor menu. So the modern equivalent of Tools > Arduino Nano w/ ATmega328 is Tools > Arduino Nano, Tools > Processor > ATmega328P.

This issue has been reported to Arduino:

but unfortunately they have not taken any action to fix it after 6 months.

kprims:

Thanks for your advice, but the largest capacitor I have is 0.1uF. I tried it out but still get the same error message. I think I will purchase some 10uF and post the result several days later.

Also, @pert 's information is really useful, thanks.

I use a UNO and put the new processor in that , then use a USBtiny ftdi adapter to upload the bootloader via the ICSP header , then program as normal over the UNO’s usb connector. ( just select board as gen uno). Then take the chip out and install in your minimal board.
Worth doing if you want to program a few - I’ve made up a zif adapter to make it easier.

Used to bootload my old NANOs by selecting UNO to get optiboot and enable use of watchdog etc.

kprims:

I received capacitors and tried it out, but I still get same error. Is there further more debug information that I can copy and provide here?

I tried the same process in Windows 10 with Arduino 1.8.8. Surprisingly, it works well. The previous try out was made in Manjaro Linux. I am not clear what caused that problem currently, but at least it works now. Maybe I will try to reinstall Arduino IDE in Linux and erase customized config and do another approach.