Quick connect / test 3-wire "1-wire" temperature sensors

Hi Everyone,

I have dozens of DS18B20 ‘waterproof’ temperature sensors with long cables.

I need to connect each sensor temporarily to read the internal addresses.

So there are 3 stripped wires, about #24, stranded, tinned.

Has anyone seen a quick connection method for this kind of testing? I have tried these BAD solutions:

• Clip Leads
  • “HiFi Speaker” connectors: push the button type seen on amplifiers and speakers.

I see larger “Lever” type connectors like these:

I would need to mount 3 of those, connect one side to Arduino, the other used for the sensors.

BUT I think I saw some lever type connector that was small, somewhere.

Anybody got an elegant, or not-such-a-pain solution for this??

THANKS!

Regards, Terry King
…In The Woods in Vermont, USA
terry@yourduino.com

The Ardutester modules use ZIF sockets.

Screw terminals.

I would start with one of those plastic "clothespins" used to close potato chip bags. Glue a circuit board with 3 copper traces on one edge soldered to 3 wires for connecting to Arduino on the opposite edge, to one jaw. Glue 3 "pressure pads" on the other jaw that would squeeze the leads against the copper traces.

Hi,
The Wago's are good, but bad on the fingers when you are repeatedly opening and closing.

Can't you fix three clip leads to a board side by side, so with one finger you can open them all and place the wires in the jaws?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

I will try the clothespins, OR, thinking, I have some nice spring loaded "small clamps" sometimes used for woodworking. If I mount the copper traces so one side has separate pieces and use double-sided foam tape to mount them there would be a little mechanical compliance.

It'll be worth it for almost 100 sensors in this pass...

I USED to have some 18-pin ZIF sockets with a nice lever. Hmm.. It was only 35 years ago, I was programming fast fuse-blow bipolar ROMs to unscramble the address lines on IBM memory chips so I could test with a physical memory sequence. Ho-Hum...

I DO have a couple of 40pin ZIF lever sockets, but that seems a bit overkill for 3 pins. On the other hand, if I wear 3 out, there are Spares :slight_smile:

THANKS! I'll post what works...

Regards, Terry

Maybe something like this.

terryking228:
I DO have a couple of 40pin ZIF lever sockets, but that seems a bit overkill for 3 pins. On the other hand, if I wear 3 out, there are Spares :slight_smile:

It's not as if the "TEXTDOL" ones are expensive!