Quick question about MOSFET suitability

Hi,

I'm currently working on an RGB light. I have a set of common cathode LEDS. I intend to wire each colour in parallel and control them with Arduino PWM via a P-channel MOSFET. I've made a crude diagram of the LED part of the circuit below, for the sake of simplicity I've left out the current limiting resistors in series with each colour.

I'm aware you see almost this exact project all the time on here, but I just have a quick question about a MOSFET I've found and if it is suitable to use for this project. The MOSFET is the SI9435DY. Assuming that the current (5.3A continuous and 20A pulsed, if I've understood the data sheet correctly) and the p.d. (30V) are correct for my LEDs then would this device be suitable for my circuit?

Thanks in advance! :)

First of all with your circuit, the transistors need to be PNP transistors and there needs to be a resistor in the anode of each LED. I am assuming these are the normal 20mA LEDs and not high power ones.

Those FETs look OK to switch on 5V. However the current rating makes me think you are using high current LEDs.

Are you sure you have common cathode LEDs these are not the normal type.

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm using P-channel FETs, should I be using PNP transistors instead? There will be resistors, I left them out to keep the diagram simple.

They are normal LEDs, I won't be using the full high current the FETs are rated for but I am using them to power 48 LEDs in parallel, didn't make the number clear in my first post.

I'm sure they're common cathode, yeah. I wish I had common anode, they seem much easier/better documented!

It won't be a problem that the voltage across the FET is the same as the voltage being applied to the base, will it?

should I be using PNP transistors instead?

PNP transistors or P-channel FETs will both work in this arrangement.

It won’t be a problem that the voltage across the FET is the same as the voltage being applied to the base, will it

No problem.