Quick question regarding Yun power buses

I tried looking through the schematic, but I couldn't figure out which connection was the USB port.

When you plug in a Yun through the mini USB port, it get's 5v from the computer (or USB charger). Does that 5v line connect to the 5v power line? Is there anything in between, any chips or regulators?

I know a "regular" Arduino has a regulated 5v line, so you can't pump too much current through it. What's the current limit for the 5v line on the Yun?

I think it is not regulated, and the same applies to Vin. If you exceed it you will damage the Yun.

Yeah... I already bricked a Yun by trying to make my own regulator and powering the Yun through Vin, so this time I'm being safe and going through the USB port. I just want to know what else I can power, or do I need to split the USB port before the Yun to get power...

So... What are the current limits from the 5V power pin on the Arduino Yun, when it's connected via USB for power?

http://forum.dev.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=209836.msg1542386#msg1542386

sonnyyu: It is hardware design bug, The designer did it half sleep and half wake. :P

Xyver:
So… What are the current limits from the 5V power pin on the Arduino Yun, when it’s connected via USB for power?

The 5V pin is connected to the USB 5V through two MBRM130LT1G Schottky diodes. The maximum current you can draw from the 5V pin depends from the power supply, and these diodes can work up to 1 A.

In your case current limit will be 500 mA due to USB limits but a part of that current is used to power the Yun so the current you can actually draw from the pin is lower.

Angelo9999: The 5V pin is connected to the USB 5V through two MBRM130LT1G Schottky diodes. The maximum current you can draw from the 5V pin depends from the power supply, and these diodes can work up to 1 A.

In your case current limit will be 500 mA due to USB limits but a part of that current is used to power the Yun so the current you can actually draw from the pin is lower.

Yes, that's the answer I'm looking for!

So even if I put it on a USB charger that can saupply 2A, I'm still limited by the 1 A of the diodes? I've read that the Yun can pulls up to 400 mA, so that should be plenty... a 600 mA buffer. I don't need to power a lot, just a few sensors.

Xyver:
So even if I put it on a USB charger that can saupply 2A, I’m still limited by the 1 A of the diodes?

Yes, you are.

If you need to power sensors don’t worry about power consumption :slight_smile: