quick question - resistors , pot, digital, variable

hello,
is there any way to use the arduino to output a variable resistance?

for example: I have a device with a manual turn POT I want to replace it with an arduino digital control.

thanks

A digital pot?

Digital potentiometer

Digital Potentiometer - 10K

from the videos I have seen it puts out a voltage?

will it range a resistance out also? like 0-10k

just want to confirm if it will work with the arduino to control a pot on a separate device

g43q654wutrjh:
from the videos I have seen it puts out a voltage?

will it range a resistance out also? like 0-10k

That’s why they’re called a digital pot.
Did you read the information in the links, and the datasheet of the 10K digital pot? They act as a variable resistance. The one at Sparkfun that I linked is a 0 to 10K digital pot, with 7-bit or 8-bit resolution. ie 128 or 256 steps. You can also get digital pots with higher resolution.

I’m sure that if you Google “digital pot” or “digital potentiometer” you’ll get heaps of results.

Here’s yet another link, to get you started:-
Everything You Wanted to Know About Digital Potentiometer (POT)

I’m not interested in watching videos. Do some research. I’ve given you a headstart. Don’t expect others to do what you can do yourself.
While you’re at it, Google “R2R ladder” for another method.

OH sorry Grandpa. please don't waste anymore of your time "trying to help me with links I have already have looked up and know about.

if SOMEONE ELSE (without an attitude) that has used a DigiPot, can confirm it will accept a 0-255 PWM arduino output and then the digipot outputs a resistance that can be put inline on SEPERATE device
and then how it connects up on the device to replace a analogue POT (link to an example)

thanks

one example use I found spoke about output voltages which is confusing.

g43q654wutrjh:
if SOMEONE ELSE (without an attitude) that has used a DigiPot, can confirm it will accept a 0-255 PWM arduino output and then the digipot outputs a resistance that can be put inline on SEPERATE device
and then how it connects up on the device to replace a analogue POT (link to an example)

Read the datasheet and confirm for yourself.

Now if anyone else without the ATTITUDE and who isn't too lazy to read a paper on their own and is willing to put in at least a little effort has a question then go ahead and ask.

I can tell you that taking that attitude and calling names and getting mad about responses that aren’t exactly what you want will alienate the people here and cause nobody else to respond. Maybe try another forum and be a little nicer and you might get help. But I think you’ve blown it with the attitude here. I doubt anyone else is going to try to help since you seem to do nothing but bitch when they try.

Go read a find a few other threads where someone thought they were going to ask for free help and then call people names for trying to help because it wasn’t just exactly what they wanted. You’ll see what happens to those. Someone usually comes along and says hey cool it, then the OP shows his ass again and then the thread dries up with no more help coming.

g43q654wutrjh:
OH sorry Grandpa. please don't waste anymore of your time "trying to help me with links I have already have looked up and know about.

thanks

one example use I found spoke about output voltages which is confusing.

Digital Potentiometer Tutorial Arduino MCP4131 DAC Raspberry Pi - YouTube

What a childish attitude. You sound like a spoiled, 3 year old brat, jumping up and down screaming and name-calling because everything wasn't handed to you on a platter.
If this is how you respond to people who try to help you, you'll go far here.

@g43q654wutrjh is currently enjoying a forum timeout to allow her to reflect on her attitude towards other forum members.

Although it’s now disappeared, this is what I really objected to:-
(Expletives deleted.)

GOSH some people just cant read can they.

so again please! if you cant help answer my question, don’t waste my time with some &@%# response. <<
that means you OLDSTEVE and DELTA_G. your “help” is not requested.

can I get a response from someone who isn’t a #$%&. thanks that would be great.

if I have not made it clear …

I WOULD LIKE A RESPONCE FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS PERSONALLY TESTED AND TRIED THE SETUP AND CAN CONFIRM IT WILL WORK. and NOT! EXPECT ME TO GUESS FROM A DATA SHEET.

you would have to be quiet arrogant and full of your own @#$% to expect a newbie to be able to understand, and process functions from a data sheet of a random chip. (that I don’t even know which model to use)
THAT I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE, let alone code and connect to an arduino.

so again please! if you cant help answer my question, don’t waste my time with some &@%# response. <<

thank you.

@&#$ I am here asking for direct help. not to be told… go Google your own help. $#%@. <<<<

I posted this to keep my last reply in context, since I accidentally quoted the wrong post.

I’m sick of the poor attitude that some people display. This is the third in a week. I think I’ll take a break myself.