Quick Wiring Hookup Options

I’m curious about what kind of wiring options people have utilized when running from Arduino to breadboard or pcb or various projects.

Ribbon cable and individual wires like with Dupont endings are what I’ve been using so far, but for fairly short distances and durability to repeated plugging/unplugging for the plug or sockets is dubious.

What about speaker wire? Any problems with using that stuff?

I have a bunch of Cat5/RJ45/8P8C ethernet cable which will likely never be used again for its purpose. It’s basically a cable of 8 wires with a convenient terminating end with a simple crimp tool and sockets are easy to hook up. Is this kosher? Throw a socket on a project needing up to 8 wires to the Arduino, and then have a quick disconnect between project and Arduino? It would save me from finding some other cheap wire source.

INTP:
I have a bunch of Cat5/RJ45/8P8C ethernet cable which will likely never be used again for its purpose. It's basically a cable of 8 wires with a convenient terminating end with a simple crimp tool and sockets are easy to hook up. Is this kosher?

Kosher ? depends on what your Rabi says

if it fits, then it works. I use whatever I have on-hand at the moment.

I have found that solid strand telephone wire can result in loose connections.

Hi, The CAT5 cable is useful. Remember there are 4 twisted PAIRS of wire and if signal speed is an issue use them appropriately.

The CAT5 connectors for a PC Board are fine as long as you are into soldering..

There's a lot of cable ideas on the ArduinoInfo.Info site HERE:

There are not many ground pins on an Arduino and sometimes that's a hassle to get good connections. See THIS: idea for making that more solid.

Perhaps a Screw shield to mate to your Uno/Mega more securely.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Cat5/rj45 breadboard adaptors here

RJ45_Adapter_1-228x228.jpg