R/A LED; Getting the direction of light from the data sheet

I'm having trouble figuring out which direction the light shines on this right angle SMD LED. If I have the LED mounted on the topside of my PCB, with the Cathode at the bottom & the anode at the top, like on page 1, will the light shine to the left or to the right? If you can tell that from the data sheet, I'd love to know how.
Thanks.

Looks like the answer is 'both'

INTP:
Looks like the answer is 'both'

OH, so the light shines out both sides? I was expecting to to shine out just one side. How could you tell? Because I have seen some LEDs that just shine out 1 side. I think...

If there were such a thing as left and right, however defined, they would have separate part numbers but within the same datasheet.
Works either way if you solder it on its side.

OK, thanks.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. The picture seems to quite clearly show an LED with a plastic lens on one side (and not the other side). I would wager that they only make one model, and the light comes out the side with the plastic lens; it's up to the PCB designer to choose the orientation that makes light come out the side you want.

This is definitely the kind of thing I'd buy a small number of to make sure I understood what I was getting before I had the boards made.

DrAzzy:
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. The picture seems to quite clearly show an LED with a plastic lens on one side (and not the other side). I would wager that they only make one model, and the light comes out the side with the plastic lens; it's up to the PCB designer to choose the orientation that makes light come out the side you want.

This is definitely the kind of thing I'd buy a small number of to make sure I understood what I was getting before I had the boards made.

If that's the case, then it's possible that the light could come out the wrong side, because being that it's a diode, I can't just turn it 180 degrees...

The third package dimensions diagram is a side view, and the reel-tape orientation shows the same. They are laying on their sides in the tape.

INTP:
The third package dimensions diagram is a side view, and the reel-tape orientation shows the same. They are laying on their sides in the tape.

I noticed that, but there’s still nothing to show which way the light comes out–if it only comes out 1 side.

You yourself introduced the concept of only lighting one side. Side-looking LEDs shine out the sides.
The datasheet has a phone number if you tire of waffling about with what-ifs.

See this quick sketchup

The half-round bit is clear, you get some light leakage above and below, but the pic shows the designed direction.

SouthernAtHeart:
If that's the case, then it's possible that the light could come out the wrong side, because being that it's a diode, I can't just turn it 180 degrees...

I think you can turn it 180 or flip it, because it shows the soldering terminals going around both sides of the end of the LED, so you can flip it.
Marvins diagram I would say is correct.
Tom.... :slight_smile:

Yes, I think thats right - although you are best sticking to the way up it is in the tape/reel so it could
be manufactured! Perhaps they have a different part number for different orientations?