Radio image transfer

Hai :slight_smile:

I am trying to build a system that can transfer sensor data via radio. I also would like to have a camera on that system. The thing I can't anywhere is if it is even possible to transfer images via radio with arduino. Or do I have to use R Pi?

Greetz,
Mark

Unless each image only has 100 or 200 pixels you should use an RPi

…R

Even with a Raspberry Pi transferring video by radio is not possible. The problem is the bandwidth of the resulting transmission which will mean that a lot of the radio transmitters won't work.

You can transmit low resolution images through a low bandwidth audio link using SSTV ( slow scan TV ) like this:-

Grumpy_Mike:
Even with a Raspberry Pi transferring video by radio is not possible.

I don't have an RPi but video (eg BBC TV) can easily be sent over WiFi. That makes me wonder if it could be sent with a pair of nRF24s?

...R

Well the spec says
nRF24L01+ 2.4 GHz transceiver (250 kbps, 1 Mbps and 2 Mbps air data rates)

Grumpy_Mike:
Well the spec says
nRF24L01+ 2.4 GHz transceiver (250 kbps, 1 Mbps and 2 Mbps air data rates)

Yes. I know that.

What I don't know is what data rate you need for video?

...R

A standard definition video signal takes up 10MHz bandwidth, that is with an analogue signal. The composite video signal is 1V peak to peak, with 0.8V being video and 0.3V being sync so that suggests an 11 bit digital signal to get 8 bits of video.
The 10MHz is for AM which can be reduced to about 6MHz if you can filter the the transmitters output to produce a vistigual side band transmission.

So in my book that is a no without some form of compression which gets more than tricky with the QAM transmission.

Robin2:
Yes. I know that.

What I don't know is what data rate you need for video?

...R

When did the discussion involve video?
The OP only asked for images.
No mention of frame rate.

AWOL:
The OP only asked for images.

Very true. It is easy to get distracted.

…R