Raisin remover

Hi there!!

Im looking to create a machine that can efficiently detect and remove raisins from my favorite cereal. Having used Arduino before I would really like to stick with it if I can.

My question is: What would be the most effecfive way of doing this? Machine learning? Color sensors?

I will attatch a picture of a sample from my cereal. It consists of hazlenuts, those booldy raisins, and small or clustered together seeds and grains. All of the objects are in the picture although most of the small seeds have been removed for better clarity.

Thank you so much,
Rafael.

You might look at the Skittles sorter machines people make with Arduino. Your project will probably be a bit more challenging because the product is not uniform as is the case with Skittles.

You could also look at how the automated sorting of mixed recyclables is done. Even though it's not so fun as the skittles sorter approach, probably a combination of screening and air density sorting would do the trick.

Image from Original Post so we don't have to download it. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

...R

With all due respect I don't reckon your image is typical of the cereal that comes out of the packet - I suspect you have already removed a lot of the non-raisin material by hand.

Could you arrange to flow the cereal along a narrow channel (maybe some plastic angle arranged as a V-shape) so that the cereal passes piece by piece beneath the sensor?

Make sure that everything the food comes in contact with is safe for use with food.

...R

PS ... the raisins are my favourite part :slight_smile:

Or you could just open your gastronomic mind a bit and enjoy a delightful fruit and its goodness. :wink:

This has to be one of the most amusing projects proposed here for quite a while. :grinning:

I note the tendency for the grains to stick to the raisins. This will be a problem. Have you tried a vortex separator?

The obvious answer is to mix your own muesli from the desired constituents. :astonished:

Presumably efficiency is not a primary concern.
Perhaps a continual hopper conveyor with each hopper about 1 cubic centimetre hinged on the conveyor belt at 5cm intervals, The hoppers pass under a continual 'waterfall' of cereal mix filling each hopper. Excess cereal mix would be collected by a second conveyor and be recycled back to the top of the cereal waterfall. A hopper that contained a raisin would be heavier than one that was cereal only and an optical beam could detect the sag in the conveyor this would produce. A servo would tip the sagging hopper contents (including the raisin and some cereal) onto the recycle conveyor leaving just non raisin containing hoppers on the belt. The hoppers reaching the end of the belt would tip into the breakfast bowl.
Eventually the concentration mix of raisins to cereal in the lake at the top of the waterfall would slow down the ability to fill the cereal bowl in a reasonable time . This is the point that the lake would require draining and refilling with virgin cereal mix.
Steve

Do you want to remove the raisins before or after you put milk on them?

The industrial way used to separate such material is to use an air flow to move the dry cereal away from the raisins. Control the air flow to make the particles go into a funnel and back into your bowl. Catch the raisins in another container.

Paul

Do you remember those things at fun fairs where you put in a coin and you could manoeuvre a crane to pick up a toy and drop it down the output chute? (If you were very lucky).

Using something like that to pick out the raisins would be fun.

...R

You want some kind of tumbler sieve contraption. Sieve out all the small bits so youre just left with hazelnuts and raisins.

Seal container and suck all the air out with a vacuum cleaner. Shrivel those raisins beyond recognition. Recommence sievery.

Add one quart extra milk to compensate for arid nuts.

trojanhawrs:
Add one quart extra milk to compensate for arid nuts.

Needs compensation for some more definite kind of nuts I fear.

Paul_KD7HB:
The industrial way used to separate such material is to use an air flow to move the dry cereal away from the raisins. Control the air flow to make the particles go into a funnel and back into your bowl. Catch the raisins in another container.

Called a vortex separator or "cyclone" as per #5. :grinning:

Google "winnowing".
Winnow