Random audio output on trigger.

I'm very new at electronics and whatnot, please be gentle.

I want to have a random WAV to be played after I trigger it with a Piezo or other type of sensor. Is this something I can do with the programming aspect?

Example: When I strike the Snare pad I want 1 of 10 random snare sounds to be played, mimicking a more natural and dynamic sound.

Alternate option 1:
Sequential playback of the files could work as well, so when I strike the pad for the first time 1.wav gets played back, on the 2nd strike 2.wav, etc.

Alternate option 2:
I could mount 10 piezos in to one pad, and somehow with or without space magic have them only be active one at a time, disabling itself after being triggered and activate one of the other piezos. This seems a rather unlikely option because I'm guessing timings will be tough cookie, but maybe worth pursuing.

Thanks in advance!

The Arduino function random() will produce a different random number each time it is called, for example in the range from 1 to 10.

The call to random could be followed by a series of 10 if or case statements, each of which would make a different sound.

The basic idea is certainly possible but you might find you have real timing problems if you're going to read a hit and then find one of ten .wav files to play so a full 10 item random round robin might be a bit ambitious. Particularly if you're planning on a full drum kit not just a single drum. Playing more than one .wav sample at a time will be tricky.

But if you Google "Arduino drum kit" or "Arduino drum machine" you'll find plenty of people have already made a good start on this for you.

Steve

jremington:
The Arduino function random() will produce a different random number each time it is called, for example in the range from 1 to 10.

The call to random could be followed by a series of 10 if or case statements, each of which would make a different sound.

Thanks, this is a good lead for me to read up on.

slipstick:
The basic idea is certainly possible but you might find you have real timing problems if you're going to read a hit and then find one of ten .wav files to play so a full 10 item random round robin might be a bit ambitious. Particularly if you're planning on a full drum kit not just a single drum. Playing more than one .wav sample at a time will be tricky.

But if you Google "Arduino drum kit" or "Arduino drum machine" you'll find plenty of people have already made a good start on this for you.

Steve

For now, I'm fine with the idea of just building this for a single drum pad. I can always expand the drum kit with a 2nd and 3rd Arduino board.
Would it matter much if instead of 10 wav files I'd do it with 5, or even 3?

Would it matter much if instead of 10 wav files I'd do it with 5, or even 3?

Not to us!

jremington:
Not to us!

That's very comforting to hear!