Random bits recieved by nRF24L01 on arduino nano

At first I thought it may be an issue with my code, but this odd behaviour is exhibited by the getting started sketches too. I've wired up the transciever module in the standard way (i.e. as show in the diagram on the right)

With a listener program on the arduino, when I plug it in with the serial monitor one of two things happens:

1. Nothing, not even hard coded serial outputs
  2. I get the standard start up outputs ("connected" etc) that have been coded in, and then recieve a very fast random stream of data. This data is mostly just 0s, but with the 0s filtered out there are also numbers that in binary are a long string of 1s. The data appears to come in as fast as the board can read it, as the scroll bar on the serial monitor immediately gets very small.

Whichever behaviour I get the first time round, after unplugging the nano and plugging it back in I get the opposite behaviour. As far as I can tell this back and forth always happens, it never acts the same way twice.

I've tested it on two seperate setups, both with the same wiring and components, and the behaviour is identical.

As you have not posted either of your programs it is hard to offer advice.

I believe the 3.3v pin on a nano does not provide enough current for an nRF24. I have the same problem on my Mega clones. Try powering the nRF24 with a pair of AA alkline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND.

If that does not help have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial.

Wireless problems can be very difficult to debug so get the wireless part working on its own before you start adding any other features.

The examples are as simple as I could make them and they have worked for other Forum members. If you get stuck it will be easier to help with code that I am familiar with. Start by getting the first example to work

...R