Random shaker platform

Hi,

I'm looking to make a shaker platform for use in a laboratory. I've seen shaker platforms in arduino/ 3d printing forums before, but I'm yet to see a random shaker. This would be very helpful as currently the action of shakers pools certain reagents into the middle, rather than keep them in suspension.
My thoughts are that a random shaker could be made exactly the same as other shakers, though the code for the stepper motor could be told to add small variations that made liquids occasional go against the grain, so to speak.
Instead of the motor turning monotonously in one direction, would it be possible to program it to, say, stop, go, stop, backwards, go forwards, stop, go forwards etc.

Many thanks,
Kelvin

Do you have a question? (I'm assuming that you, yourself, are the expert of shakers).

...R

Any type motor could be used.
The signal to the driver Could be a random value.
If you need hhelp Then please post details about the motor and driver

Hi,
Yes, Robin2 - my question is whether it is possible to program the motor to do this.

Many thanks dave-in-nj, I'm looking to use a NEMA 17 Stepper Motor and an Easy Driver v4.4.

Motor:

• Motor Type: Bipolar Stepper
  • Step Angle: 1.8 deg.
  • Holding Torque: 45Ncm(63.7oz.in)
  • Rated Current/phase: 2A
  • Phase Resistance: 1.1ohms
  • Inductance: 2.6mH+/-20%(1KHz)

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Kelvin

Yes, you can code up something to move the motor in whatever pattern you like, or something random if you prefer.

Check the spec of your motor against the driver. It looks to me as though the easy driver can only provide 0.75A per phase, so it's inadequate for the stepper you've chosen.

It's hard to say whether that's enough torque to move your shaker without having some idea of its dimensions.

For a 2 amp motor I suggest you get a stepper driver that can provide at least 3 amps to give yourself some headroom. The drivers with the TB66xx chips will probably be the cheapest.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code