Random value output reading from analog inputs seen on serial monitor

So, as I was connecting my potentiometer with my arduino uno using 5v, gnd, and A0 pins I then decided to test it, wrote a program yet what the output in the serial monitor spits out 300,700, 232...I don't why isn't not working..i tested the 5v output to give only .5v

Random values being read from analog pin implies that the analog pin is floating (ie, not connected to anything) - if you read from a pin not connected to anything, you get random values, because the pin picks up random noise from the environment.

Make sure that you're reading the pin you think you're reading from, and double-check all connections.

Also, you posted this in the wrong section - this section is only for tutorials, not for questions about your project.

What part of PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR QUESTIONS IN INTRODUCTORY TUTORIALS did you have trouble with when you chose to post your question in the Introductory Tutorials section?

...R

Thread moved.

Do you have a multimeter to check the pot and/or the voltage coming out of the pot?

Copy the code from the [u]Analog Read Serial Example[/u] and I'm 99.9% sure it will work.

If you're still getting random numbers your pot is probably defective or you've got a broken wire. In that case, disconnect the pot and connect A0 to Vcc, and then to ground. Vcc should read 1023 and ground should read zero.

Skip the pot and connect A0 to the 3.3V pin. What readings do you get now?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

I regularly make the mistake that I connect to A5 instead of A0. Might be your case as well.