Range of HC12 transceiver module

I am experimenting with HC 12 long range transceivers for my project.

But I am able to communicate within range of only about 4 meters!!

I have tried all settings regarding baud rates,channel,modes using AT commands but it is still not working.
I have used the 'spring' type antenna which was enclosed with the module when bought.

There are no possible interfering objects other than laptop
Should I use some other antenna or is it just bad hardware?

I am expecting at least 50 meters of range!

Vigneshks:
I am experimenting with HC 12 long range transceivers for my project.

But I am able to communicate within range of only about 4 meters!!

I have tried all settings regarding baud rates,channel,modes using AT commands but it is still not working.
I have used the 'spring' type antenna which was enclosed with the module when bought.

There are no possible interfering objects other than laptop
Should I use some other antenna or is it just bad hardware?

I am expecting at least 50 meters of range!

Welcome to the Arduino forum.

I guess, but you didn't say, your communications worked at 4 meters at all baud rates, etc.

You did not say you had tried different frequencies. There seem to be many different frequencies that can be used.

You also say there are no possible interfering objects, but have you checked for interfering signals? You do know there are military radar installations operating in that range of frequencies. Then there are all kinds of other devices that may be interfering, such as neighborhood weather stations. You are operating in a shared frequency range, so there could be a neighbor's amateur radio operator operating near your chosen frequency.

Paul

Yes it works fine at 4 meters range with different settings also.

I was not aware of the same frequency being used. I'll definitely check that.
With the default FU3 mode it worked till 2.5 to 3 meters only, In FU4 mode it barely made it to 4 meters!

It wont work even a feet after that range, its quite precise.

By the way I am using 2 UNO's with that.

Lose the spring antennas and use a 17 cm wire antenna.

You can also run into issues when using clones from different sources, or clones and genuine units together. There is a decent look at clone vs genuine units here.

I removed the spring antenna and attached the 17 cm antenna, Now I am getting a range of 15 meters maximum.

I referred that comparison between clones and genuine ones. According to that both my HC12's are clones.
May be the modules aren't good enough:(

How are you powering the HC12?
They can draw up to 200 ma when transmitting, and your supply must be able to provide this without voltage drop.

I am using the 5v from the Arduino uno to power the HC-12.

Hi!
I know this post is old, but for all makers that googles it we made an amazing discovery.
We managed to get over 2 KM range with HC-12.

If anyone is interested, see this video: 2 KM SUCCESS STORY with HC-12 - going beyond 1800 meters! - YouTube

Hope it helps!!