Rating of Switch

A quick question on this switch. It says 10A 250V and 6A 250V. Could someone tell under which circumstances should I be using it under 6A load? Or do the symbols at the end mean something critical?

Some of these appear to be regulatory compliance & application specs. I Googled “T85” and I found [u]this:[/u]

The typical European rating will distinguish between resistive and inductive load ratings. Below is an example of a typical European rating:
16(4)A 250V ~ T85 µ

In this example the 16 = resistive load amperage; (4) = inductive load amperage; A= amperage; 250V= voltage; ~ = AC; T85= Maximum operating temperature in centigrade; µ = micro-gap (<3mm) approved.

If there is less than 3mm of air space between a switch’s contacts in the open position, a micro-gap approval (µ) may be granted. This mark indicates that the switch has general application approval with a qualifier that another device, such as a cord and plug, must provide an alternate means of disconnection from the main power source.

L & T Ratings

An “L” rating denotes the ability of a switch to handle the initial high inrush characteristics of a Tungsten Filament Lamp on AC voltage only. A “T” rating is the equivalent lamp load for DC.

H Rating

An “H” rating denotes a non-inductive resistive rating. Ratings listed in Carling Technologies’ product information may appear with the symbol “H” or with the words “non-inductive” or “resistive”. “H” ratings are typically required for switches used in commercial oven applications.

Thanks Dvddoug. So it is safe to assume 10A is no issue at 40C? I'm still curious about the 6A part though.

Hi,
What are the symbols at the end?
Its probably AC rating and a DC rating.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
What are the symbols at the end?
Its probably AC rating and a DC rating.

No way!
A switch to break 6A DC at 250V would be a monster!