RC AIRCRAFT HELP NEEDED

Hello everyone,

I am new on the Arduino and I have programming experience,what I would like to do is a mini remote control aircraft,also I would like to build my own remote controller.I have 2 arduino mega 2560,433 mhz transmitter/receiver,small joystick and servos.

On the first step,I would like to control my servos using joystick,but up to now,I cant find any of sample of it.Isn't it possible ? or Which steps should I follow.Where can I learn these things ?

Thanks.

On the first step,I would like to control my servos using joystick,but up to now

Have you looked at any of the examples provided in the IDE?

How did they fall short of your requirements?

I suggest you use nRF24L01+ modules for model airplane control. They have much more sophisticated error correction.

I got my nRF24s working with this Tutorial

I suggest you use the TMRh20 version of the RF24 library - it solves some problems from the ManiacBug version

The pair of programs in this link may be useful. These are abstracted from a model train control system so should easily adapt to a model airplane.

...R

If you are new with Arduino I would like to suggest to start with an easy task and broaden your knowledge step by step.

What you should know: Joystick => potentiometer (?) => analogRead() Transmitter => puls position modulation Servo => puls width modulation

But, the Arduinos are too slow for your requirements. Let's calculate: The speed of your RC model is 100km/h. That's not fast. That are 28m/s. The Arduino needs minimum 100ms to read the voltage (analogRead) of only one potentiometer, plus computing and transmission time. 100ms are 2.8m. That means, you flight model reacts after 3m flight on your joystick signal at the earliest.

What do you think about a slow "grounded" vehicle?

Horsten: But, the Arduinos are too slow for your requirements. Let's calculate: The speed of your RC model is 100km/h. That's not fast. That are 28m/s.The Arduino needs minimum 100ms to read the voltage (analogRead) of only one potentiometer,

Utter nonsense, and out by three orders of magnitude.

An R/C frame is 20ms (the minimum reaction time of typical R/C system) - in that time you could perform nearly 200 analogReads.

@Horsten: if you are new with Arduino systems I suggest you take a little time to familiarise yourself with it before pronouncing its shortcomings.

I agree with @AWOL.

And if there is an Arduino in the plane it might as well do something useful - such as behave sensibly if there is a loss of signal.

...R

AWOL: Utter nonsense, and out by three orders of magnitude.

An R/C frame is 20ms (the minimum reaction time of typical R/C system) - in that time you could perform nearly 200 analogReads.

@Horsten: if you are new with Arduino systems I suggest you take a little time to familiarise yourself with it before pronouncing its shortcomings.

Dear Awol, I do apologise. The time of an analog reading is 100 micro not milli-seconds. (I've never used the function) I use the Arduino "environment" for prototyping of sensor reading and data acquisition devices and I have learned Arduinos limits. Therefore my suggestion: Slower vehicles are a better the choice.