RC controller using UnoJoy: One axis not working

I am working on creating a game controller out of an old RC Transmitter for use with flight simulators using UnoJoy. I've run into a problem and cannot seem to figure this out, so I thought some experts on the forums might be able to help me out!

Problem: When I run the Processing Visualizer, I get no movement on the right stick Y (A3).

Setup: The transmitter has a left and right stick, each with a potentiometer for X and Y axes. I have wired all of the positive pot leads in parallel to the Arduino Uno 5V pin and all of the negative pot leads in parallel to the Arduino Ground. Each wiper has been wired to Analog Pins A0-A3. I am using the default UnoJoy code.

Testing: I have created a simple serial testing application and all four pots seem to be functioning correctly and independently. All Analog Pins were also tested on a breadboard setup and they all seem to function.
I have tried swapping the pot wiper wires around. All pots seem to be functioning, but the pot currently wired into A3 does not function.
I have tried grounding the unused A4 and A5 Pins after reading they may cause interference when unused.

Any suggestions you all may have would be excellent,
Thanks!

Are you saying that A3 does not work regardless of which pot is connected to it?
OR are you saying that one particular pot doesn't work and it happens to be connected to A3.

If it is the first situation, what happens if you use (say) A4 instead of A3.

Have you written a short sketch that reads one of the Analog pins and displays the value on the Serial Monitor. Then you can change the code to read each pin in turn. That will eliminate any cross-pin complications.

...R

Hey,

My friends and I have the exact same problem. We've also tried switching to other inputs (A4 or switching with A2), but the problem persists - still on the same axis.

We've also tried writing a sketch that writes the output of the potentiometers to the console, and everything here (hardware, pins and read) works just fine.

On a sidenote, we're running Windows 7 in VMWare 6 on a Mac. It shouldn't matter, but there it is :slight_smile:

Onotadaki - did you ever find a solution?

pseudonymdk:
We've also tried writing a sketch that writes the output of the potentiometers to the console, and everything here (hardware, pins and read) works just fine.

So what exactly is not working as you want?
It seemed like the OP had a hardware problem but you say that you don't

Post your code and use the # button so it looks like this

...R

there is a bug in the unojoy processing visualizer. in the source file where the controller is read the SerialPort.write(6); line is missing before right stick y data is read.

Thank you Erbonator, good catch.