RC Plane with a quadcopter or tricopter setup

Hi there,

I am thinking of making a RC Jet plane with a tricopter/quadcopter setup due to space constraints for take off and landing. Initially the quadcopter will take it high and the RC Jet Plane will start with its own gyro mechanism, While landing, the Jet will be off and the tricopter/Quadcopter will start with different gyro mechanism (I guess)

Please note, the tricopter/Quadcopter body will look like the RC plane only, only the difference will be that it will be having 3 or 4 motors at 3 or 4 sides. It will also be having a jet propeller motor in the centre.

Is this setup even possible, I am wondering.

Please answer. Thanks in advance.

This is the sort of question I’d ask on an RC model forum.

Hello Sir,

Well, I have no doubts about the modelling aspect, I need to know the possibility of whether arduino sketch can do such type of programming.

like for example any switch is triggered then the tricopter/ quadcopter mechanism is triggered and if trigger returns then the jet loop is triggered.

Hope this helps.

Is there anything common between the quadcopter system and the RC jet system other than they're in the same body? I.e. do they share any electronic/RC components like gyros, servos etc. (other than the RC receiver)?

Is the quadcopter part going to use a standard flight controller or do you want to do all of that work in the Arduino itself?

If they are completely independent then it would almost certainly be easiest to use 2 Arduinos and switch control between them. Most Arduinos do not have the computing power or memory to handle two separate systems both of which are quite complex.

Steve

slipstick:
Is there anything common between the quadcopter system and the RC jet system other than they're in the same body? I.e. do they share any electronic/RC components like gyros, servos etc. (other than the RC receiver)?

Is the quadcopter part going to use a standard flight controller or do you want to do all of that work in the Arduino itself?

If they are completely independent then it would almost certainly be easiest to use 2 Arduinos and switch control between them. Most Arduinos do not have the computing power or memory to handle two separate systems both of which are quite complex.

Steve

Dear Slipstick,

Thanks for your answer, it made my day !

Switching control suddenly is likely to initiate a crash. You need full authority control during the transition since this must take some time as wings need enough speed not to stall and the pitch will need to change from nose down to nose up smoothly.