"RC" Radio Control Modules.

Hello all,

I've been searching and working with a wireless module or radio control module (rc)
you can call it in different ways, I have a "nrf24l01" the simple module without the db antena,
I figured out that the range is kinds small, they say it's about 100m for the small module and
1000m (1km) for the other module with the db antena.

I've been working only with the 100m one and observed that in different kind of angles the module
dose not transmit signal after that I've been searching on youtube and other kind of sites about the
module with the antena and by looking videos i've seen ppl getting from 50m, 200m to 1000m range in open area.

Why I'm here is that i wanna use a RC module on my project, Car, airplane, quadcopter but
getting the "NRF" module, I'm not so impressed to use it + I'd like a bigger range.

So the Story is, Do you know any other kind of modules that will work 100% without any problems
and minimum range 1.5km ~2.5km ?
ofc compatible with arduino (but that ain't be a problem you can hack any kind of modules) and cheap for example no more than 10~15$.

You can post me and a bit more expensive examples maybe i will change my mind.

Thanks

Hi,
The directional problem with the nrf24l01 without the antenna is due to the shape of the PCB antenna etched onto it.
A vertical antenna will help, but I assume you are using it in an environment that is not physically stable.
The vertical will not solve your problems there either as the pattern has very little gain in the vertical axis.

It comes down to Tx power, the nrf24l01 are wifi units with very little power.
RC Tx are of a higher power to over come the antenna pattern problems.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

If you really need the range you can expect to pay quite a bit:

Johnwasser

Yes of curse i know i need to pay more for something better and more range.

I've been searching too on the internet about RC modules, I found cheaper than your link
like this one : " FrSky JR TX Module "

Receiver Specification:
Operating voltage: 3.0~16V(HV Version)
Power consumption: 30mA
Resolution: 3072
Latency: 22ms
Number of channels: 8
Range: 1.5km-2.5km
Dimensions: 44 x 24 x 14 mm
Weight: 9.3g

Module specification:
Operating voltage: 6.0V-13.0V (can handle 3S!)
Power consumption: 50mA
Output Power:: 60mW
Resolution: 3072 (11bit)
Dimensions: 63.9x48.5x36.5mm

It cost 40$ + shipping about 60$.

It's really good but what I'm trying to do is just for testing purposes and paying that much for
something that it's only for testing I don't think it's a good idea.

I could try the NRF24 with the antena that's 1km range but I'm not really sure how well it's working,
I've seed videos on youtube some people say it's good and the range is 1km some other say it's not
and the range is max 50m. So I'm not sure what to believe.

I'm searching a cheap module with 1km min range to be able and test what i have but I'm not sure about
if the module will do the work.

So that's why I'm here and asking people if the know any kind of module that's good.

ps. One question, Could I change the antena from the NRF24 and put a better antena?

Google "Diversity receiver"
Using more than one receiver with antennas in different angles might improve dead spot problems.
Look at the more expensive modems, or wireless microphones. They have two antennas.
Leo..

Domino60:
Johnwasser

Yes of curse i know i need to pay more for something better and more range.

I'm not sure about that - the device you linked only gets you about 2 km range (great distance for the price, though) - while the kit that John was linking to gets anywhere from 20 km (TXRX 700 Lite) to 100 km (TX 700 Pro).

Honestly, for the price those systems are being sold for (around $500.00 USD for a complete TXRX 100 km kit), that's seems relatively cheap to me; I was expecting it to cost much more than that (honestly, I was expecting well over $1000.00 USD).

Heck - I remember when standard 4-channel FM RC systems cost as much...

Hi,
On the test bench 2.4Ghz might be okay, but don't forget you are getting into the area of the spectrum where line of sight rules.
Any object between Tx and Rx will greatly deteriorate signal strength.

40Mhz RC might be better, but does it have the bandwidth for what you want to do?

Just a thought. Tom...... :slight_smile: